Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-2005, 03:33 PM

Default Funniest line so far

I've only read to #8, but this is so freakin' humorous in its irony I just can't contain myself:

[ QUOTE ]
These players have seen poker on television, but don't understand the game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, right... they don't understand the game as well as some goober ESPN writer who just discovered revelations like,

[ QUOTE ]
The best play in poker is to put the other players at a decision for their chips. It almost seemed like this play was taken away because of the nature of the limit game.

[/ QUOTE ]

No kidding? You mean, you can't just push them off a hand for another $4? Why, that's so... so.... so LIMITING! That's why it's called LIMIT poker, Einstein.

I would think a great student of the game like Mr. Newmann would understand that poker requires adjustments, and one of those is moving from a big-bet game to a limit game. But no, there's Mr. Bigshot-WPT-Is-About-to-Come-Calling, trying to set people all-in with his two yellow chips with pictures of foxes on them. Good luck, Bozo. And keep bringing your friends from ESPN down -- send a few to the $4/8 game too.

Thanks for sharing this.
Old 08-08-2005, 03:36 PM

Default Re: An excellent assessment of low-limit B&M

Your #'s 1 & 2 go hand in hand. #2 will make money long time by people trying to draw out when they statistically shouldn't. They'll hit some times, but lose $$ most times.

The largest problem with $2-4 is the rake that eats up a larger portion of the pots.

I have noticed that people feel one of two ways about low-limit poker:

1. They love playing in it because the players do call against the odds, etc., leading to what should mathematically work out to more winning sessions fro better players.

2. They hate low-limit because they get fed up with too many players calling down with junk and seemingly consistently drawing out on solid hands, defeating what mathematically should be profitable poker.

I know that reason number 1 actually makes statistical sense, but it sure does seem that in the experience of many, including myself, number 2 happens often enough to make people disgusted.
Old 08-08-2005, 03:38 PM

Most people would agree with statement #2. Not so coincidently, most people really, really suck at poker.
Old 08-08-2005, 03:39 PM

The odds will tell you that with lots of people chasing and calling, you will lose more hands that you might win against more schooled opponents, but that you will win more $$$ when you do win.
Old 08-08-2005, 03:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The river was an 8. He bet and I max raised him, trying to get him out of the pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh, this is a 2/4 game, right? So his "max raise" of $4 is way more powerful than a "min raise" of, oh, say, $4.
Old 08-08-2005, 03:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The largest problem with $2-4 is the rake that eats up a larger portion of the pots.

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps, but all it takes is one more caller preflop and on the flop to pay the rake. ( I wrote this argument up at http://poker.wikicities.com/index.ph...Low-limit_rake but I need to add a clarifying sentence or two.)
Old 08-08-2005, 03:55 PM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand
Default Re: An excellent assessment of low-limit B&M?

You really think so?

The guy's a moron. How they let people like this write an article and pay them for it is beyond me. I guess, in a way, it's good that he isn't writing anything worthwhile there-by educating anyone with his article.

Top 10 reasons and none include the rake. Instead he echos the sentiments of many players I see that can't beat a LL game simply because they don't understand the game nearly as much as they think they do.

Sounds like a typical, arrogant, n/l tourney wannabe.

b
Old 08-08-2005, 04:12 PM

Default Re: An excellent assessment of low-limit B&M?

Right, that's the point -- his animosity toward the fish is primarily because they show him up for being a fish himself.

Moreover, I'd love to play at this guy's table for no-limit too. I'll just sit on my $40 until I get a great hand, and then he'll raise to push me off it, and.... oh, wait, you can't raise someone out of the pot if they're all-in preflop!

That seems to be the foundation of his strategy. Just keep raising until you bully someone out of the pot. That doesn't mean he knows NL; it probably means he's closer to the typical Foxwoods $1-2 NL sucker than he realizes. Awesome. Bring lots of money, pal.
Old 08-08-2005, 04:20 PM

Default An excellent example of wannabe-pro whining

Since many others, including Mr Broadway, ripped into this author so well, I won't add to it
Old 08-08-2005, 04:26 PM

that is some funniness...all of these thoughts have come through my head at some point at the table