Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-20-2005, 04:37 PM

Default Re: Middle Pair

People love to chase their Aces, so betting a Q high flop gets lots of calls. However betting an A high flop can make most fish fold a lot of their unpaired hands- why would you bet anything other than the Ace? Sure, often times they'll have A5, but obviously if you do some thinking about it more often than not they wont.
Old 12-20-2005, 05:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
because I don't have any reason to believe that he is holding an Ace at this point?

[/ QUOTE ]

that's it!
Old 12-20-2005, 06:31 PM

Bet the flop and if called bet the turn. Top pair and better hands are not so easy to come by short handed so we have to usually bet our middle pairs as well. Try and treat middle pair as the best hand until proven otherwise with a few caviats.

1. If a bet comes from your right with this hand then you should tend to fold unless he habitually bets at every flop, then raise instead.

2. If more than 2 players call your initial bet and you get a scary turn card then be prepared to give it up at the slightest provocation. It is often still better to bet but you really want to see a showdown without having to put any more in.

3. If raised then it is usually best to let it go on the turn UI. Again read dependant though.

I think it is generally better to ere on the side of caution if played back at with mediocre hands as the real value in SH play is getting paid off by exactly these type of hands when you do hold top pair or better. Play them strong but also be prepared to let them go the majority of the time if you meet resistance.

As you played this hand I would find it hard to continue. It is far, far easier to play if you just lead out 3 way although I often prefer to check-raise HU.