Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-19-2004, 09:51 PM

Default Re: $1k SNG Hand - Opinions?

Hi Nick,

Easy shove.
Old 12-19-2004, 10:03 PM

Pokerstars.

Nick
Old 12-19-2004, 10:04 PM

I'd stop and go. I know a lot of players dont like seeing flops in the late stages of SNGs, but if he has a hand and is going to hit an ace on the flop, I'd prefer to know... especially with a hand like JJ which is either going to be very weak or very strong after the flop. I'm not liking the coinflip against any two overcards, I need to see if I'm going to win, and my call is going to make him squirm in his chair (the reraise could be anything decent or even sometimes junk, the call is definitely a starting hand to be worried about).
Old 12-19-2004, 10:18 PM

assron,

Not a bad idea, but the goal here is to get the villian to fold preflop. I would say that 8 of 10 times he'd fold here. But not AK. =)

Nick
Old 12-19-2004, 10:23 PM

well if you want the fold, the push is a no-brainer.
Old 12-19-2004, 10:34 PM

What hands do you really want to fold preflop here? AA, KK, QQ, AK, AQ, and KQ? He's very unlikely to fold anything in this list except KQ perhaps. Any other hands you would want to call you. Because he's raised the last 3 pots, it's not too likely he has one of these big hands. It's a sng here (although they're rare...being a $1000 buy-in on stars). I think folding here is playing scared (above the psychological bankroll, I'm pretty sure you're bankrolled financially). Getting all the money in the pot seems like the best play here. As for getting him to fold preflop...I doubt he will fold any hands that you want him to fold preflop.
Old 12-19-2004, 11:07 PM

rjb,

No, I do not want a call, even from a hand that I am probably slightly ahead of. I want those 675 chips in the pot, that's it. I do not want a showdown. I dont want AT to call me. I dont want 9T to call me. I want those chips, which gives me a good bit of time to wait out the smaller stack, which I did not have at that time.

Nick
Old 12-19-2004, 11:57 PM

Anyone know the odds of NOT having an AKQ on the flop? i.e. overcards for your jack?

Actually, I would rather know the stats of not having AKQJ on the flop with you having JJ... As I know I would be happy with an AJ2 flop...

Never thought of this myself...
Old 12-20-2004, 02:41 AM

Stop and go doesn't work well with JJ, I mean, let's say an A, K, or Q flops, he would likely bet at it no matter what he holds, now what? Plus stop-n-go won't make sense, b/c he's on button. I think allin is a must, get him to fold most hands. I guess iwth AK, or AQ he'll probably call, and you have to deal with a coinflip.
Old 12-20-2004, 05:42 AM

I initially thought 'push' also. But in a bubble situation like this, I like the "stop and go" for the following reasons: If an A,K,Q flops, you can get out with 1685 and still not be the short stack, making a money finish still likely. If a J flops, you've got position for the trap. If villain checks, a non-threatening flop you can push and put him to a decision.