Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-22-2005, 02:53 PM

Default Re: do you take a stand?

[ QUOTE ]

This call becomes less correct if UTG vanishes and the only stack shorter than you is the one with 1 BB behind the BB he's already posted. In that case, it might be correct to fold, but it's probably close.

[/ QUOTE ]

no. no. no. no. no. folding QQ here against an aggressive big stack is asinine. are you playing for 3rd?
Old 04-22-2005, 02:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Putting him on the range is obviously better, though not super important with QQ just because you're going to crush everything except for three hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

Chump big stack is pushing here with AA, KK almost never. He'll be tricky.
Old 04-22-2005, 03:00 PM

this hand of course isn't the same as what sklansky explained in his tournament poker for advanced players when he talks about when to fold Aces. I mean basically I saw QQ and I'm pushing no matter what happens. Unfortunately I had to call myself all-in which isn't a good feeling for me really because I have to win in a showdown. But for the big stack with A5s if UTG calls, it might actually be the right play for him if UTG doesn't have an ace with a higher kicker.
Old 04-22-2005, 03:03 PM

Apsotively. I just put that up because I ran it myself out of curiousity. The $1.80 or so is better as it is using a range that includes A5s. It would be better if you put him on a larger range. If you put him on a smaller range, then you were wrong about your range, but it could still be a good call.

In order for the call to be wrong though, he doesn't have to just have a range of AA, KK, AK. It may be surprising that 88+, AJ+, A9s+, KJs+ would make the call $0EV. Since you would still have FE if you fold it might not be a good call if you put him on that range. On the other hand, some people seem to feel that when ICM is close you should definitely call.
Old 04-22-2005, 03:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]

no. no. no. no. no. folding QQ here against an aggressive big stack is asinine. are you playing for 3rd?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I'm playing for money.

It's possible that the call doesn't suffer, but a lot depends on what you think BB will do in that situation. If he'll overcall, then you love getting your money in because it's highly unlikely that you'll lose both the main and side pots, and you'll almost always have a busted shortstack. So there it's very good. However, if BB is astute enough to fold and hope that the big stack gets you, then you could be in for some hurt there. You don't become a monster if you double up, and I think you probably have less to gain moving up then you do by losing this hand. That said, I suspect that QQ is still strong enough that calling is correct with UTG disappeared, but that it is actually probably surprisingly close. Having done a few ICM calculations in situations similar to this, it is surprising how often its predictions are tighter than you might think.
Old 04-22-2005, 03:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]

In order for the call to be wrong though, he doesn't have to just have a range of AA, KK, AK. It may be surprising that 88+, AJ+, A9s+, KJs+ would make the call $0EV.

[/ QUOTE ]

Right, but I think you're confusing (or at least misinterpreting what I said) two different issues. AA, KK, AK are the only hands you're afraid of; the tighter his range, the more likely it is that he has those hands, and thus the smaller your EV. Any range that's sufficiently tight - which both means you see these monsters more often and hands you crush less often - is going to hurt your EV.
Old 04-22-2005, 03:18 PM

No, I knew what you meant and I know you understand that. I should have left out [ QUOTE ]
In order for the call to be wrong though, he doesn't have to just have a range of AA, KK, AK.

[/ QUOTE ]

Most respect.