Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2005, 03:53 PM

Default Re: Bet the river and save kitty?

I call expecting to lose a more than 1 in 13, but hey, that's just me.
Old 09-14-2005, 03:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Can I take a WA/WB line in a 3-way pot?

[/ QUOTE ]

I am not really sure about this. You would need an overpair probably, have a board like QQ7r, and know that third player is so bad you don't have to worry.

Here though I don't think you can implement a WA/WB line. The cold call is suspect by the rock. Looks like a set, because two pair will raise more to eliminate trips or better two. Nice trap by the rock with TAG raiser and your c/r.
Old 09-14-2005, 07:18 PM

You certainly can take a WA/WB line 3-way. I would do this in situations where the player behind me is unlikely to have hit anything (K72 board say where my hand and the action from the raiser dictates WA/WB). It might be the best line to do this in certain situations when the player left to act will call with just about anything but you have a reasonable chance of being beaten by the raiser (I'm sure there's a way to do the math on this, but I can't).

However, just thinking about this, a couple of ideas emerge. 1) The PFR is probably much less likely to reraise you unless you are beat (ie, he isn't going to 3-bet KK as often on an A high board) when there is a 3rd player who is a calling station in the hand (obviously in this case it's a rock, but more often it will be an LP).
2) Less so, but I think the PFR may also be more likely to fold a WB hand, out of fear that one of you has to have the A (or whatever).

So if you wanted to do the math with various pot sizes and %'s of being WA/WB you could maybe get a rough idea of when it is best to be passive and when it is best to raise.

On this particular board however, a raise will often knock out the rock, which is very important given he could well have a gutshot on this board or middle pair.
Old 09-14-2005, 08:24 PM

the short answer is: yes.

the longer answer goes: particularly when the third opponent is likely dead money (his outs are likely few). basically the line of reasoning is that they're more likely padding the pot than they are to be a threat to your chances of winning the pot... so it doesn't pay to try to eliminate them at the expense of driving out the preflop aggressor (or increasing the price of seeing the river)