Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-31-2005, 02:45 PM

Default Re: The biggest lesson I\'ve learned at PLO

[ QUOTE ]
(c) pot control.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am having some trouble grasping this concept i think. Can some elobarate what pot control is?
Old 08-31-2005, 03:11 PM

keep the pot small when you're out of position. you don't want to have to call off a huge % of your stack on a draw, things of that nature.

pot control is very important in tournament strategy.
Old 08-31-2005, 03:40 PM

Default Re: Pot Control

I forgot to mention this, this is a big adjustment. Controling the size of the pot is most likely the #1 thing to master in PLO.
Old 08-31-2005, 04:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
keep the pot small when you're out of position. you don't want to have to call off a huge % of your stack on a draw, things of that nature.

pot control is very important in tournament strategy.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a lot easier to keep the pot small when you are in position vs out of position, but you must exercise pot control both in and out of postion. OOP example being check/calling flop then leading turn when OOP instead of check/raising the flop which bloats the pot. When in postion checking behind on the turn etc etc.

I think of pot control both ways not just "keeping it small". It's often very important to build big pots (in pot limit games especially) when you are really deep and have to work harder to get your stack in the middle when you want it there. This jives a lot with the importance of position in PL games cause when people have big hands in EP if they don't put some money in the pot it will be hard for them to win a big one, thus you have more info when you are in LP.
Old 08-31-2005, 07:18 PM

Pot control, if you are American, means *always* betting the pot because you can't get that pesky allin like in good, decent, clean living, US of A, No limit holdem.

To non-Americans, it means crafting the pot size to the situation, normally the maths of the situation, sometimes the dynamic of the hand. An example of the former would be betting similar amounts with strong draws and made hands. An example of the latter would not be betting so much through the streets that when you have to bluff on the river, he can call for amusement reasons.

gl

Dave
Old 08-31-2005, 07:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What other lessons have people learned that has helped them?

[/ QUOTE ]
Don't get too excited when you flop the nut straight or 2nd nut flush. Learned that the hard way in my early Omaha days.
Old 08-31-2005, 09:55 PM

Of all of the ones that I have read, at the lower limits at least, Rosies is the one that is the most right on. I can't tell you the last time someone was bluffing at low limit PLO. If people bet it they always have it. I'm sure bluffing is a part of the game at the higher limits but definietly not at the lower ones.
Old 08-31-2005, 10:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I'm new to PLO, but the turning point for me was when I realized how not loose w/ AAxx.

[/ QUOTE ]

My guess is, you fold it?
Old 08-31-2005, 10:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Pot control, if you are American, means *always* betting the pot because you can't get that pesky allin like in good, decent, clean living, US of A, No limit holdem.

To non-Americans, it means crafting the pot size to the situation, normally the maths of the situation, sometimes the dynamic of the hand. An example of the former would be betting similar amounts with strong draws and made hands. An example of the latter would not be betting so much through the streets that when you have to bluff on the river, he can call for amusement reasons.

[/ QUOTE ]

Puke. . .

There's a reason I've adjusted my sleep schedule to be able to play with the brits, french, and swedes.
Old 08-31-2005, 10:46 PM

And I don't wanna hear [censored] about the 8$ value bet you made against me with the 4th nut on the river. . .