Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-2005, 06:22 PM

Default Re: Rugby

[ QUOTE ]
I assume everyone in this thread is referring to Union, not League? If so, you all suck.

[/ QUOTE ]

would be the automatic assumption. I like league, but union>league
Old 08-28-2005, 06:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I assume everyone in this thread is referring to Union, not League? If so, you all suck.

[/ QUOTE ]

League is gimmicky.
Old 08-28-2005, 08:54 PM

Indeed, using my 1337 skillz I have discovered that League is, in fact, Union's gimmick account.

Rugby is a sport of thugs, played by gentlemen (and is a great excuse to fight someone, walk off the field then drink together till 4am).
Old 08-28-2005, 09:01 PM

All the men on my dad's side of the family are rugby players (my cousin actually got drafted in one the regional French teams and has a shot at making the national team). Anyway, you will get banged up, no question about that. Endurance is key, strong upper body strenght is also needed. Have fun, I am a huge fan and I wish it was more popular in this country.
Old 08-28-2005, 09:12 PM

Rugby from the outside looks like organized kill the carrier.

From the inside it is one of the most strategic games ever invented. Almost all of American football is a rip off of rugby (If anyone is going to dispute this go online and look for yourself before you look like a fool).

I played for four years, and in fact just played a game on saterday. I played for PSU, which is one of the best college teams in the nation (ranked as high as second last year after beating Navy), and many alumni currently play for the US national team. I assure you these guys are not fat slobs...they are the most athletic people I've ever seen.

We also had a bunch of ex-PSU football players come and try out for the rugby team after they run out of football eligability. Some loved it (one is currently on the US Eagles), but many thought it was way too much work. One ex PSU wide reciever said to me, "rugby is way too much running for me"

As far as injuries, you get many more bruises and bumps than football (finger sprains and the such) but much less series injuries, like neck injuries. When you are not wearing pads you learn quickly not to tackle with your head.

All clubs have people who have never played before, so you will not be alone.

Last thing, if you want to know how to train send me a PM and we'll talk. Lifting is great and pure running is great, but you really need to train more like a wrestler/soccer player. Each rugby game is the equivalent of running 4-6 miles, without timeouts or any breaks besides halftime, WHILE you are tackling/being tackled/rucking/mauling/scrumming etc. However, I have found it much more rewarding than any other sport.

Give it a try and decide for yourself

GL,
Jon
Old 08-28-2005, 09:32 PM

To me, rugby seems like american football if there were no downs. American football started as a variation of rugby, didn't it?

From the people I've known that played the game in college, it seems like the most fun club sport you could play. Everyone I knew that tried it got totally hooked.
Old 08-28-2005, 09:41 PM

Thanks for all the responses. I recall one poster saying rugby is for fat kids, and even though i have never played i have to disagree. i met with some of the players on the team, and while they didnt look like calvin kline models or brad pitt, they were certainly fit. It definetly made me realize I will have to lose 15 lbs to be at my best shape, (I weigh 235, i know, i know, its over weight for a kid thats 6') and while running a couple of miles isnt a real problem, doing the equivelent of 4-6 in my current shape would be difficult. So now my goal is less upper body, more cardio and leg stuff.
Old 08-28-2005, 10:57 PM

Exactly how big does one need to be in order to play rugby?

As in, I'm 5'10 and 155lbs. Would they let me on the field?
Old 08-28-2005, 11:09 PM

Yeah you could still get in there. All you need is physical and mental toughness. If you are really strong at the moment, you'll definitely get stronger as you play more.

Given your smallish build you should consider trying out as a back. These guys are the ball carriers who do a lot of running with the ball. The forwards are the ones who are required to be tough because they're the ones tackling and trying to ruck other forwards off the ball. Of course, in an ideal team forwards and backs are very big and tough but it's not a huge deal if you're not, especially at a not so competitive level.
Old 08-29-2005, 04:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for all the responses. I recall one poster saying rugby is for fat kids, and even though i have never played i have to disagree. i met with some of the players on the team, and while they didnt look like calvin kline models or brad pitt, they were certainly fit. It definetly made me realize I will have to lose 15 lbs to be at my best shape, (I weigh 235, i know, i know, its over weight for a kid thats 6') and while running a couple of miles isnt a real problem, doing the equivelent of 4-6 in my current shape would be difficult. So now my goal is less upper body, more cardio and leg stuff.

[/ QUOTE ]

you'll probably fit in best as a flanker or maybe a hooker/front rower. YOu aren't tall enough to be a 8 or 4 or 5, but the beauty of rugby is that it is a sport for all shapes and sizes, no matter how big or little you are, there will always be a place for you on the pitch. I do hope that you enjoy the sport as it is tons of fun