Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-2005, 11:36 PM

Default Re: 3/6 6m blind steal

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed) converter

Preflop: I am Button with T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">I raise</font>, SB calls, BB calls.

Flop: (6 SB) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">I bet</font>, SB folds, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, <font color="#cc3333">I 3-bet</font>, BB calls.

Turn: (6 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, I....
Old 08-16-2005, 11:49 PM

Am I the only one here who thinks that we shouldn't even be stealing the blinds in the first place? You are very likely to be called, have zero showdown value, a below average hand, plus the guy doesn't appear to be a loose-passive donk who we can make bets up post-flop on. I'd love to get heads up against him, but with something that I can show down unimproved.

And if I read the second post, I'd see that this was already pointed out.
Old 08-16-2005, 11:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Am I the only one here who thinks that we shouldn't even be stealing the blinds in the first place?

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably.
Old 08-17-2005, 12:01 AM

Fold pre flop. I'd peel the flop and just fold the turn unimproved.
Old 08-17-2005, 12:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Fold pre flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I think this is right.
Old 08-17-2005, 08:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Fold pre flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I think this is right.

[/ QUOTE ]

This cannot possibly be correct against someone who is consistently willing to go to showdown with nothing more than A high....

peace

john nickle
Old 08-17-2005, 10:10 AM

Button raise is perfectly fine, let's be serious here. That's what button is for.
I think the good idea is to just fold right there 75% of the time. All you have is a draw to a middle pair shitty kicker hand in a tiny pot. 25% I'd probably try to take it back , likely by raising the turn. I don't think 3bet on a flop acomplishes anything at all other than building a pot without a hand.
Once you 3bet the flop and the K comes on turn, you're exactly where you were : in steadily growing pot without a hand against an opponent who would never fold anything of showdown value. I think you have to bet it to avoid being bluffed out by 9 high or less, but that's the last bet I'd put in unimproved.
If you have just called the flop, just fold to his bet on turn since you can't realistically represent anything anymore.
Old 08-17-2005, 10:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
We've tussled a few times during the session and I...know that the flop check/raise is air.

[/ QUOTE ]

But this is actually only half the equation. You also need to know what you have done previously and and have an idea of how he percieves your play.

SH it is harder to get people to fold so you need to make a strong play here. While I believe the call and CR Turn line is the stronger play, perversely it may work less against a loose re-stealer. A loose player will likely see the SD with anything he takes to the Turn, even undercards trying to pair up against your "air". After they pass the Turn they will call just to check you out (check the archives for posts about players calling with 7-high etc.).

I have had more success taking on re-stealers by 3-betting the Flop and leading the Turn. A total steal will fold to the 3-bet not wanting to pay out on the Turn and River. A hand like two-sooted with one flopped suit or other such scratchy backdoor may call the flop 3-bet and fold UI on the Turn. No loose player with any pair will ever fold here after this action.

T9o is an OK stealing hand OTB - what are villains blinds stats? Does he ever fold his blinds? If not then you could consider fold/limp/raise depending on your perceived image.

I am happy to drop this on the flop when I am raised, even to a potential re-steal. You are behind any pair and any face card. You have no SD value.

The lack of SD value does mean you want to fold villain but the inherent weakness of the hand means you need a mighty read to want to call here and put another 2 BB on the Turn UI. This hand will win most of its money taking the blinds, stealing the flop and making Top-pair on the Flop 3-way or any pair HU. When that does not happen you need to be prepared to let it go quick.

It is easy to get into mind-games SH, not necessary at $3/$6 or even $5/$10. Plenty of horrible mistakes from opponents. Throwing chips-a-plenty in with T-high, save it IMO.
Old 08-17-2005, 10:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think 3bet on a flop acomplishes anything

[/ QUOTE ]

I have seen many semi-aggro players bullet-fold to the 3-bet against a strong TAG player - they do not want to burn their chips and their steals lack determination.

[ QUOTE ]
If you have just called the flop, just fold to his bet on turn

[/ QUOTE ]

Given the looseness of opponent, this is a good line to take also. Players with figures like 50/13/1 probably take their share of shots, but may not be aggro enough to follow thro. Equally though, they tend to call a LOT, with anything, which is why I dislike a Turn CR UI.
Old 08-17-2005, 10:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
which is why I dislike a Turn CR UI.

[/ QUOTE ]

We should really stop talking about turn CRs here since the Hero has position.