Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-05-2005, 12:04 PM

Default Re: Alcohol, been sober for 10 monthes ok to drink in moderation?

reward: alcohol in small amounts *might* be midly beneficial in some ways, and these small benefits will take very long to be seen. (such as a slightly reduced heart disease risk way down the road or something like that)

risk: becoming an alcoholic again is *certainly* very bad for you immediately and in many different ways.

If this is a serious post then please don't use the 'health benefits' as a rationalization to start drinking again. If you want health benefits then go to the gym.
Old 01-05-2005, 12:09 PM

When I sobered up after my 25th Birthday, I quit drinking. I will be 44 in March and I wouldn't take a drink on a bet.
Old 01-05-2005, 12:17 PM

actually this may be a great place to get some valid feedback on this.

Thi smay be exact place where others with similar characteristics and problems can hear and correspond to you.
Old 01-05-2005, 12:25 PM

I dont know if im an alcoholic, I've quit for 2 and 4 monthes at a time in the past, and then started up again. This 10 month stretch has been the longest sober time. My life has been dull, boring, and feeling down lately. Maybey a drink or 2 will make me feel better during the day, and maybey increase my life expectency. I noticed in the past one or 2 drinks doesnt hurt my poker game much, it might improve it, it might make me feel better in general during the day, it might improve my life, but I dont want it to get out of hand again. This is a serious post, and thanks for the responses.
Old 01-05-2005, 12:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I dont know if im an alcoholic, I've quit for 2 and 4 monthes at a time in the past, and then started up again. This 10 month stretch has been the longest sober time. My life has been dull, boring, and feeling down lately. Maybey a drink or 2 will make me feel better during the day, and maybey increase my life expectency. I noticed in the past one or 2 drinks doesnt hurt my poker game much, it might improve it, it might make me feel better in general during the day, it might improve my life, but I dont want it to get out of hand again. This is a serious post, and thanks for the responses.

[/ QUOTE ]

You just listed the worst reasons for drinking I can think of. You sound like you might be an alcoholic. Go to AA. Don't drink because your feeling down. Alcohol is a depressant. It will make things worse. It certainly won't improve your health or make you feel better in any way. It will definitely hurt you poker game.

It sounds like you need someone to talk to. You may want to seek therapy.

(If your trolling your not very funny)
Old 01-05-2005, 12:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Maybey a drink or 2 will make me feel better during the day, and maybey increase my life expectency.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope you realize how ridiculous this sounds. If you start drinking again you will decrease your life expentency. And if you need to drink to make yourself feel better then you have a lot of problems to sort out and drinking will solve none of these problems, only make them worse.
Old 01-05-2005, 01:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Maybey a drink or 2 will make me feel better during the day, and maybey increase my life expectency.

[/ QUOTE ]

1. If you feel the need to drink during the day (and don't work 3rd shift), you are an alcoholic.

2. If you seek the heart benefit suggested by the "french paradox" take one baby aspirin daily. It's what my doctor recommends and my wife insists that I comply.
Old 01-05-2005, 01:09 PM

I hear ya dude. I was 25 and drinking way too much, had been for years, my health was getting worse, I was depressed, every time I quit for a few months I found an excuse to drink again. And everytime I drank again I felt like doodoo again. Eventually I either had to kill myself or stop drinking all together.....As much as life sucked at that point I chose to live. I chose to start going to AA meetings and that choice saved my life.

I'll be 42 in March and life is wonderful! Could I drink again without screwing up my life? Who knows.....maybe I could, but I never got as much out of drink as I've gotten out of sobriety. Extended sobriety has been very good to me, give it a try, maybe it'll be good to you.
Old 01-05-2005, 01:15 PM

Don't drink. If you had a problem with it before, you'll be right back there and worse again if you start. I'd suggest some type of counseling too. I've got friends who swear by AA, I'm not quite so sure, but whatever works. There are places out there to get some guideance and help with not just drinking but the other things in life that may be out of balance.

Good luck,

Fitz
Old 01-05-2005, 01:19 PM

Go get counseling. Life doesn't have to be boring and dull. It isn't lack of alchohol at the root of the problem. Don't drink.

Krishan