Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2005, 06:22 PM

Default It eliminates fear of the check raise from the later people

no one has to be scared that their call is going to be raised behind...gives too big an advantage to the last to act
Old 11-09-2005, 08:10 PM

Default Re: Is checking out \"unethical\"?

I never found it unethical when a few players at my local cardroom throw their hand away instead of checking. I find it hilarious when they do it on a constant basis.

Folding a big pot for one bet can be a big mistake even with a weak holding, but folding for zero bets? If you do it once for a specific reason that's one thing, I'm talking about players that do it several times an hour.
Old 11-09-2005, 08:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
in low limit, limit hold'em it's probably not a big deal. But it is a poker pecadillo. It is a big time no-no in no-limit. I imagine you would get your ass chewed if you did it in a game of any size.

[/ QUOTE ]

what if you are online and don't want your hand to be recorded if gets checked all the way? i could see in bigger games where this could be valuable information you don't want to give up
Old 11-09-2005, 08:10 PM

the idea is that it makes a bluff much easier for the middle person to run against the last guy, as he no longer has to bluff out two possible calling hands.

If its no limit its even worse. If the middle guy thinks you were on a draw that mightve gotten there, and that the last guy has a mediocre hand, it can become very profitable to throw a big bet out there ifc he knows he doesnt have to worry about your hand any more. It can put a real squeeze on the person last to act in that type of situation.

Sorry that was kinda rushed but hopefully you get the general idea. Just check next time, and if it gets checked around then you can just throw your cards in the muck.
Old 11-09-2005, 08:12 PM

How can a, presumably, experienced player with nearly 2000 posts on this forum ask this question? This is basic stuff. I usually assume the guy checking out is a weak fish.

Regards,

T
Old 11-09-2005, 08:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How can a, presumably, experienced player with nearly 2000 posts on this forum ask this question? This is basic stuff. I usually assume the guy checking out is a weak fish.

Regards,

T

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't play a lot of live poker, I guess. Thanks for your input.
Old 11-09-2005, 09:34 PM

Wow I find it hard to believe that none of the 10 responses give even a clue to this "unethical" move to which when I am dealing I have been the "guy next to you". And you (not our poster) always gave that very same response.

The answer: Offer protection to the rest of the table.

Just knowing they have gotten past you, means that you will not check-raise. Understand?

1 step further: 4 players after the flop, during any portion of the hand after the flop. 1st player bets 2nd player slowly begins to reach out and cut the call of 4 chips but he has a stack in his hand..he's not finished....you insta-muck....NOW HE RAISES! You offered no protection to the other 2 players involved.

And yes in a larger NL game you will get kicked in the nuts for it. As you should now.
Old 11-09-2005, 11:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Wow I find it hard to believe that none of the 10 responses give even a clue to this "unethical" move to which when I am dealing I have been the "guy next to you". And you (not our poster) always gave that very same response.

Just knowing they have gotten past you, means that you will not check-raise. Understand?

1 step further: 4 players after the flop, during any portion of the hand after the flop. 1st player bets 2nd player slowly begins to reach out and cut the call of 4 chips but he has a stack in his hand..he's not finished....you insta-muck....NOW HE RAISES! You offered no protection to the other 2 players involved.

And yes in a larger NL game you will get kicked in the nuts for it. As you should now.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, you see, the rules are the rules, and openfolding is allowed. Getting angry about someone openfolding is like getting angry about someone calling a raise with T2s and flopping a flush. You might be frustrated because you got burned, but the player operated within the rules of the game. It wasn't an angleshoot either, he wasn't string betting, none of that gray area stuff. He openfolded. Allowed by the rules. End of story.

Oh and newsflash, of course people acting behind get more information than those acting ahead. That's that old advantage-of-position thingie we talk about from time to time.
Old 11-10-2005, 12:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No, you see, the rules are the rules, and openfolding is allowed. Getting angry about someone openfolding is like getting angry about someone calling a raise with T2s and flopping a flush. You might be frustrated because you got burned, but the player operated within the rules of the game. It wasn't an angleshoot either, he wasn't string betting, none of that gray area stuff. He openfolded. Allowed by the rules. End of story.

Oh and newsflash, of course people acting behind get more information than those acting ahead. That's that old advantage-of-position thingie we talk about from time to time.

[/ QUOTE ]

You have no idea.. Its not forbidden in written rules, but its unethical, and unethical behaviour is not tolerated. Keep doing it, first you will be warned and then kicked.
Old 11-10-2005, 01:56 PM

It's debatable whether your options post-flop when not facing a bet are Check or Bet or if they are Check, Bet, or Fold. Either way it is defininitely a beach of etiquette

One of the things I really like about the Full Tilt software is that they have removed the option to fold when not facing a bet thus protecting all players hands. So clearly someone found this to be an important issue.