Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-03-2005, 11:59 AM

Default Re: Exploiting a Rock image

I would say you don't exploit a rock image, you milk it. If you are a rock, you're going to be winning most of your pots pre-flop and right on the flop. You'll probably rarely limp and always come in for a decent size raise and come out firing on the flop. Your going to avoid raises from solid players, unless you have the better hand, and your going to concentrate on the weak and the infirmed.

Most of your earnings are going to be from pre-flop and on the flop bets. Occasionaly you'll win a big one, or lose a big one. I've gone into rock mode often and find that it is not too difficult to double up in a typical $500 buy-in $5 and $5 BM NL game.
Old 02-03-2005, 02:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
BluffTHIS!-

Thanks for the reply. I believe you hit the nail on the head with the "giving no action" line. Even many of the looser players in the game are beginning to do this. So it's getting into the situation where they aren't paying me off, but because they are so loose I don't feel like I could move them off a hand with any sort of consistency.

it's almost like they're playing me perfectly from a game theory perspective. Calling me down just enough to slow me the rest of the time. I'm certain these people aren't doing it on purpose... but their looser play without paying me off is inadvertantly correct against me.

KoW

[/ QUOTE ]

You have just made a very thoughtful statement that many tight players don't realize and even would laugh at. Namely, that loose players without consciously intending to do so, often play in certain ways that are coutermeasures to your strategy of play.

One suggestion as how to get a little more action if you can do it without going overboard, is to be seen giving better AGGRESSIVE players more action, not by calling, but by betting and raising with marginal hands and draws and by making stone cold river bluffs. Loose players will see this and not realize the situations and opponents involved, who being aggressive although tight, often won't themselves have a monster either, making them more likely to fold (thus paying for this strategy) or to give you free cards or a check on the river where you can check behind as well. Doing this only a small percentage of the time wil be enough. Loose players will then be more likely to give you action with your good hands not realizing that you are value betting them and not just betting a marginal hand or a continuation bluff into a calling station.
Old 02-03-2005, 03:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
BluffTHIS!-

Thanks for the reply. I believe you hit the nail on the head with the "giving no action" line. Even many of the looser players in the game are beginning to do this. So it's getting into the situation where they aren't paying me off, but because they are so loose I don't feel like I could move them off a hand with any sort of consistency.

it's almost like they're playing me perfectly from a game theory perspective. Calling me down just enough to slow me the rest of the time. I'm certain these people aren't doing it on purpose... but their looser play without paying me off is inadvertantly correct against me.

KoW

[/ QUOTE ]

You have just made a very thoughtful statement that many tight players don't realize and even would laugh at. Namely, that loose players without consciously intending to do so, often play in certain ways that are coutermeasures to your strategy of play.

One suggestion as how to get a little more action if you can do it without going overboard, is to be seen giving better AGGRESSIVE players more action, not by calling, but by betting and raising with marginal hands and draws and by making stone cold river bluffs. Loose players will see this and not realize the situations and opponents involved, who being aggressive although tight, often won't themselves have a monster either, making them more likely to fold (thus paying for this strategy) or to give you free cards or a check on the river where you can check behind as well. Doing this only a small percentage of the time wil be enough. Loose players will then be more likely to give you action with your good hands not realizing that you are value betting them and not just betting a marginal hand or a continuation bluff into a calling station.

[/ QUOTE ]

BluffTHIS!-
Thanks again for the reply. I agree with what you're saying and I will definitely try this the next time I'm in the game.

Thanks,
KoW