Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2005, 01:33 AM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand
Default Re: Clock Stopped at end of USC-ND Game

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
in the nfl inside of 2 minutes the ball would be dead wherever the fumble started and the clock would keep running, must be different in college

[/ QUOTE ]can someone please post a link for this rule.

[/ QUOTE ]

No,but I can tell you why it's the rule; one of John Madden's Raider teams won a game this way in the '70s. Ken Stabler shoveled the ball forward as he was being tackled, and some Raiders kicked it into the end zone, where Dave Casper fell on it to win the game. Insta-rule change.

[/ QUOTE ]

Which has nothing to do with stopping the clock. It had to do with advancing a fumble by someone other than the original ball carrier. Nor is the ball dead just because the ball is fumbled.

[ QUOTE ]
THE KEN STABLER RULE - A large segment of pro football fandom liked to think that the Raiders played slightly, or sometimes more, outside of the rules of the game. The black-clad Raiders did little themselves to dispell the thinking. In a Week 2 game in 1977 at San Diego, the Silver & Black Attack was in dire straits in the game's final seconds -- though in the red zone, behind 20-14. Kenny Stabler was back to pass one last time. His receivers were covered, so the inventive Snake did the only thing a true Raider would do. He bent, if not broke, the rules. He fumbled the ball -- forward. Running back Pete Banaszak was nearby, but couldn't or wouldn't pick it up – instead he booted it toward the end zone. Then tight end Dave Casper got into the act. He soccer-dribbled the ball into the end zone as time expired and fell on it. Touchdown! Errol Mann's PAT gave the Raiders a 21-20 victory, despite the Chargers protestations.

Ex post facto or after the fact, that sly, good oI’ boy Stabler confessed that he, indeed, fumbled forward on purpose. That was enough for the rules committee. No more “lmmaculate Deceptions," or “Holy RoIlers.” On fourth down or any down in the final two-minutes of play, if a player fumbles, “only the fumbling player can recover and/or advance the ball,” was how the rule read for the 1979 season.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-18-2005, 01:36 AM

Default Interesting NFL rules...

link

b
Old 10-18-2005, 02:41 AM

Default Re: Interesting NFL rules...

[ QUOTE ]
Which has nothing to do with stopping the clock. It had to do with advancing a fumble by someone other than the original ball carrier. Nor is the ball dead just because the ball is fumbled.

[/ QUOTE ]

I said the clock would keep running, just like the forward progress rule where if you are pushed backwards out of bounds the clock keeps running because you get your forward progress spot which is in front of where you went out.
Old 10-18-2005, 03:22 AM

I didn't want to start a new thread so I will tag this here:

I sure hope it wasn't Charlie Weiss who made this call, because the decision to let the grass grow out in Notre Dame stadium was horrendously irresponsible and stupid.

I know Desmond Reed of USC suffered what is likely a season-ending and possibly career-ending knee injury while he was back-pedaling to receive a kickoff, and I also noticed that 2 or 3 Notre Dame players went down with what looked like knee injuries.

What a petty and dangerous decision.
Old 10-18-2005, 03:53 AM

According to what Charlie Weis said, there could have been a penalty for signaling for a timeout when USC didn't have any. Plus the assistant coach was all the way at the 5 yard line(way way way out of the coaches/players box) I think it was Carroll's son that was in the face of the refs asking for the timeout. At least thats how I read the article.

He said he was fine with Bush pushing Leinart in, even though its illegal, he didn't think it should have been called.
Old 10-18-2005, 04:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you are serious. [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
Old 10-18-2005, 04:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you are serious. [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think if 3 or 4 players are helped off the field with knee injuries, that renders it petty and dangerous in the grander scheme.

Slow down USC's offense? What a [censored] joke.
Old 10-18-2005, 04:51 AM

Default Re: Interesting NFL rules...

I'm not sure that's the same as fumbling out of bounds. I couldn't find anything on clock non-stoppage due to a fumble that goes out of bounds. It's still a live ball until it goes out of bounds.

b