Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-2005, 06:33 PM

Default Re: This is the real answer

[ QUOTE ]
It was developed by Brad (bdk3clash) a few months ago. As to exactly where he got it, I'm not sure, and I suspect he'll chime in.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats what I thought until today, no I wonder if perhaps its been around a lot longer than I thought. This is a quote from an email I got today from Bob Ciaffone, we have been discussing a ruling issue reguarding showdowns:

[ QUOTE ]
Even though the lady and the gaming agent were donkeys

[/ QUOTE ]

I almost spit up when I read that. Either Brad has much greater influence than I ever imagined, or Donk is old school.

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Old 05-08-2005, 06:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It was developed by Brad (bdk3clash) a few months ago. As to exactly where he got it, I'm not sure, and I suspect he'll chime in.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats what I thought until today, no I wonder if perhaps its been around a lot longer than I thought. This is a quote from an email I got today from Bob Ciaffone, we have been discussing a ruling issue reguarding showdowns:

[ QUOTE ]
Even though the lady and the gaming agent were donkeys

[/ QUOTE ]

I almost spit up when I read that. Either Brad has much greater influence than I ever imagined, or Donk is old school.

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I suspect that "donkey" has been around for quite some time, but that the multitude of new forms ("to donk," "cold-donking," "donk-bet") are probably attributable to bdk and the rest of SS's new donk fetish.
Old 05-08-2005, 10:06 PM

Default Re: Where the heck did the term \"donk\" come from anyway?

I think I remember reading somewhere that Puggy Pearson coined the term. He called the bad players "Donkeys" because they carried the money on their backs, directly to the strong players.

So it's very old school.
Old 05-08-2005, 10:11 PM

Default uw is correct nt

donk != donkey
Old 05-09-2005, 12:34 AM

As far as I can tell referring to those of less than average intelligence (in the gambling world and elsewhere) as donkeys is pretty old school.

I believe I first heard the term "donk" used by Daniel Negreanu in some WPT clip show where he referred to a horrible bet/call/raise as a donk move. He even made a donkey noise, which I found incredibly hilarious.

Anyway, I do take credit/blame for popularizing the term on 2+2 and I think I was one of the first people to use it as a verb. I also think I coined the phrase "donktastic."

I agree that all the donk stuff is mildly amusing at best but kind of 2+2 cliche at this point. It is still a lot better than endless references to "fish."
Old 05-09-2005, 06:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I agree that all the donk stuff is mildly amusing at best but kind of 2+2 cliche at this point. It is still a lot better than endless references to "fish."

[/ QUOTE ]

When people start saying "donkmeister" and "donk-o-rama" you know it has gone too far.