Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-2005, 06:03 PM

Default Re: TT UTG with a 13 BB stack

Ok preflop play aside I am probably open pushing this w/o a read. If I think that villain bets into me if I check and I am gonna go with this hand anyway then its an easy check and then push. If you open push and get called then you’re probably dead since you if I’m villain it makes me think you can have an under pair to the ace or some other draw or missed broadway cards. All that said assuming I followed your action preflop I am open pushing. I don’t wanna get too tricky…. HOWEVER (sorry for rambling) this is a $10. So maybe I check and try and induce a bluff by villain since if he has any sort of ace he will call my push. But if I have him beat he might check behind me on the flop and bet at me on the turn and then I can ensure I get my money in. I hope this is coherent enough. I am writing this while at work having to look over my shoulder.
Old 12-05-2005, 06:11 PM

Gee without a read my default is check/fold.

UTG usually plays tight. Range is TT-AA,AK,AQ,maybe ajs.
if villain is only modestly loose then he will show you an ace here 2/3 of the time. You may be able to push him off the best/worst hand the other 1/3. If hero is tight he will show you an ace 8/9 of the time, and would have reraised you PF with the everything you can push him off other than JJ (maybe).
Old 12-05-2005, 07:12 PM

I think theres too much money in the middle by the flop. I push and hope my opponent has a mid pocket pair and takes our push to mean AK trying to protect against the flush.

I agree with the other posters who mentioned a limp preflop (hoping to push if raised) as a better line.
Old 12-05-2005, 09:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
with that stack size, i think i'd limp hoping to push over the top when someone raises.

That said, i have no real logic to defend that, it's just what i do. I should probably think about it some more. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Would you do this if your opponents were competent? Good player limping utg with 13bb would set off some bells.
Old 12-05-2005, 09:39 PM

Preflop I think limping > raising > pushing. Pushing is very slightly EV+, maybe a little more if you get some calls from 77-99.

Almost any scenario for limping is good. You are basically playing for the limpraise, but you can fold a with minimal loss when it looks from the action like TT may be dominated.

If it winds up a limped pot, almost any flop is good for you. There is a good chance you wind up with an overpair or a set. If high cards flop, you may be able to represent whatever hits, particularly if you are only playing against the blinds.

On the flop, I think there is a good enough chance you are ahead and there is enough money in that you have to put the rest in. At worst you have a 10% chance and you have substantial pot odds.

A solid player is not that likely to flat call with Ax or JJ-AA. This is a $10 tournament and fish like to flat call, like to play aces, and like to trap, so you could be in trouble, but there is not much you can do about it.
Old 12-05-2005, 09:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
with that stack size, i think i'd limp hoping to push over the top when someone raises.

That said, i have no real logic to defend that, it's just what i do. I should probably think about it some more. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Would you do this if your opponents were competent? Good player limping utg with 13bb would set off some bells.

[/ QUOTE ]

I good player is going to limp with almost any hand he plays UTG with 13xBB and small online ante. If no one else plays and you wind up against the blinds or BB, that is a very good result.
Old 12-06-2005, 12:38 AM

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t150 (9 handed) converter

SB (t6375)
BB (t4790)
Hero (t2055)
UTG+1 (t2205)
MP1 (t3975)
MP2 (t4230)
MP3 (t4678)
CO (t6355)
Button (t1670)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t500</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP3 calls t500, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>.

Flop: (t1225) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

When I saw the flop HU with just one overcard on the board, I decided that I was willing to go with the hand because of the size of the pot and the size of my remaining stack, but I wanted to make sure I got a worse hand to put his chips in the pot with me. I settled on betting 600 and planning to call a push or open push the turn if called. I hoped that betting 600 would be interpreted as me trying to take the pot right there because I was afraid of the ace. I thought too often a worse hand would fold to an open push, and I felt that checking was just a bad idea altogether.

<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t600</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 raises to t4178</font>, Hero calls t955 (All-In).

Turn: (t6958) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

River: (t6958) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: t6958

Results below:
Hero has Ts Tc (three of a kind, tens).
MP3 has 6c 8c (high card, ace).
Outcome: Hero wins t4335.

I guess it was just dumb luck that the villain happened to have absolutely nothing
Old 12-06-2005, 12:06 PM

Exactly what Betgo said. With 1550 left, at 75/150 blinds, you really need to bet out here. I wouldn't necessarily push, however; you MAY be able to take your opponenet off his A"x" or even "JJ", as a lot of people in these 10 dollar tournaments think that just because an "A" is on the board, it must mean that a raiser from early position has A(K-J) and his Ax is beat. I would bet out 1000, something to make it look like you want a call, that you want to put the rest of your money in on a re-raise. Make it a little tricky, if he raises you back, well, so long.
Old 12-06-2005, 12:17 PM

I bet 500 on the flop. Why? Because that is my standard continuation bet. I try to do roughly the same thing every time, so as not to give my oppenents info based on my bet size. Play it just like you had AA. Which is to bet it half the pot or so.

Now, if he pushes, you can safely fold, but I think he folds here wth anything other than an ace.
Old 12-06-2005, 12:24 PM

Wow, I just read your results. Looks like I suck. I need to quit giving people credit for good hands. :-)

Nice call and nice pot.