Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-08-2005, 04:45 PM

Default Re: Reasons I (or You) Enjoy SNGs

I agree, the beats in SNG's will drive a person crazy.
Old 01-09-2005, 07:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Grinding away multitabling (limit) ring games, applying the same methodology over and over (in the context of fewer, and less changing variables) kind of reminds me of my days back in school - cramming for some test, going over some rule/principle for the 16th time so that I have it absolutely memorized, even though I understood it's logical components by the 2nd time.

Playing SNGs, with their constantly shifting variables (and unique variable combinations) means I get to solve a new problem every time I play an SNG. It's refreshing/more stimulating.

[/ QUOTE ]I think this is why I like SNGs as well. Plus they're well defined financially - I know that I'm going to play 4 $5+.50s today, so that's a maximum risk of $22.

I play at both UB and PS, and which site I play at depends on the type of game I want that day. UB's structure means that I can play a little tighter at first, and as long as I get to t2500 by hand 60 I'm ok. PS means I have to bet far more aggressively, even with t1500 to start, because the blind structure goes up faster and if I'm not at t2500 after 40 hands, I'm going have a big problem. I'm just starting out (<50 SNGs on each), but with +ROI so I'm happy for now.
Old 01-09-2005, 07:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Grinding away multitabling (limit) ring games, applying the same methodology over and over (in the context of fewer, and less changing variables) kind of reminds me of my days back in school - cramming for some test, going over some rule/principle for the 16th time so that I have it absolutely memorized, even though I understood it's logical components by the 2nd time.

Playing SNGs, with their constantly shifting variables (and unique variable combinations) means I get to solve a new problem every time I play an SNG. It's refreshing/more stimulating.

And if you play tons of hours like I do, less mouse clicks with SNGs = less carpal tunnel issues.

Downside of SNGs = I throw more things across the room in disgust (but nothing broken yet). The "suddennes of one's demise" certainly can make for heightened emotional responses.

[/ QUOTE ]

As usual Gramps...great analogy! Rote application of general priciples vs creative application?
Old 01-08-2005, 06:58 PM

Personally, and I haven't had massive poker experience or anything, especially not at huge limits, but there have been few things that I find more thrilling than winning a $215. I mean it's *one thousand dollars!!!!*

Amongst the things that I find cooler:

Winning back to back $215s!!!
Winning back to back to back $215s!!! (ok, I haven't played a ton of $215s, so this has only happened once.)

But you get the point. The ROI is big, the variance is low, and (as a result of those first two) the bankroll requirements, and the ratio of Return:BR can be quite large.

I like that they pay the bills.

citanul
Old 01-08-2005, 09:45 PM

Due to work/kids, I don't have time to play MTTs very often. They just last too long. In general, I'm a ring game player, but I go back and forth when I find myself getting bored with ring games.

What's frustrating about the SnG is when I play perfectly for 45 minutes and get great cards, but then lose on the bubble because 1 hand went the wrong way. When this happens, all I can think is "if this had been a ring game, I'd still way up".

If some fish takes me out, I'm frustrated that I can't get my money back (and then some) like I could in a side game.
Old 01-08-2005, 10:13 PM

Because short-term results rule!
Old 01-09-2005, 08:24 PM

I generally suck in ring games, and have always been a better tournament player. Like you said to start this off, I can wait all day for a good tournament hand, but in ring games I just get frustrated and play way too loose. Plus SNG's and tournaments are more interesting to me from a strategy standpoint. I can't tell you how many times I've played in a ring game and made plays I KNOW are bad, but I just kept on making them. I know that has more to do with me than anything else, but knowing yourself is at least some of the battle, right?
Old 01-09-2005, 09:18 PM

two things

much lower variance than big MTTs

much more interesting than ring

to be honest though, i'm primarily a ring game player. #1 factor has always been the hourly rate, and ring is where its highest (for me anyways)
Old 01-09-2005, 10:30 PM

FUN!

I just started doing the Bonus Whore thing (Internet Forum) and this has been great for $, but playing 4 tables of NL ring games for thousands of hands is MINDLESSLY boring to me. After a month of ring games, I am finally back to SnG's clearing bonuses at Poker Room and Poker Stars (can't do this at Empire, Party, etc) and I realize how much more fun they are than the ring games.

I'm playing poker for fun more than anything so to me, SnG's are the best thing going.
Old 01-10-2005, 08:20 AM

I enjoy s&g's too but for all you ring dissenters try lagging up a 6max table.

Just as much fun as long as you dont mind a bit of variance.

Paul