Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-03-2005, 03:20 PM

Default Why didn\'t these lazy liberals just leave?

They got wheels, they could have gone a couple hundred miles inland if they weren't so lazy

Old 09-03-2005, 03:41 PM

Default Re: Why didn\'t these lazy liberals just leave?

If I had two days notice that the biggest earthquake ever was going to hit Los Angeles... myself... and yes, even poor people could get out of here.
Old 09-03-2005, 03:44 PM

Default Re: RACE CARD!!!! (puking)

[ QUOTE ]
<font color="red">I mean hell... why didn't they loot BEFORE the storm and steal a bike or car to get out of harms way? </font>

These are not the people to feel sympathy for. What you don't seem to realize is that many of the non-crimminal poor people couldn't get out. Most had no money, no transportation, and sick family members to care for. How were THESE people supposed to get out? So you've got 3 little kids, an elderly mother who can't walk, no money, and the mayor says, "Get out now!".

You know what's funny is that for the most part I'm a conservative republican. But the ignorance some of you guys show has me swaying to the left.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you guys haven't seen a single "able boded" person on the news that could have easily escaped pre-flooding and not added to the problem / sucked up limited rescue resources?

Let's just say 25% more people would have properly evacuated / not "rode this one out" on their roofs. Can you imagine how much easier it would be to help those that are actually in need?
Old 09-03-2005, 03:50 PM

bicycles after 9/11:

"The people who stayed in the second tower after the first got hit deserved to die."
Old 09-03-2005, 03:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
bicycles after 9/11:

"The people who stayed in the second tower after the first got hit deserved to die."

[/ QUOTE ]

Bison... grow up... I said no such thing... that was an event that unfolded in less than 90 minutes. LA residents had days to plan for this.

Come with a real arguement and more than 5,000 posts of BS.
Old 09-03-2005, 04:02 PM

Bison... grow up... I said no such thing...

Yeah, it was sarcastic hyperbole, meant to point out the absurdity of your position in blaming the victims. It's not a factual argument, I'm making an appeal to scorn.

Many people left New Orleans. Some stayed because they couldn't afford to leave, felt they had to stay, or decided the danger was not that great. None of those people deserve to suffer and die. None of them.
Old 09-03-2005, 04:22 PM

I'm not saying anyone deserves to die... but let's not do the un-American thing as claim that is everybody except the individuals responsibility to better their own situation.

You, me, the guy next door... we can truly only count on ourselves. Help is great... and I hope the government steps in and does a lot... but it's important that American's also have a return to individual resourcefulness.
Old 09-03-2005, 04:34 PM

Ok, but where does that leave us?

The American government cannot and will not abandon those who failed to extricate themselves from the affected area. Putting aside any moral obligation, it would be politically untenable.

So why engage in blaming them? What does that accomplish? The marginal cost to any of us observers is minimal. The cost to themselves has been massive and potentially fatal. Whether or not anyone in the area deserved what they got, they've been punished. They're suffering now. What does heaping additional scorn on them accomplish?

These are not public officials, who need to be judged for fitness of future service. These are just people to whom something tragic has happened.
Old 09-03-2005, 04:37 PM

I currently re-reading "our" posts... at this point the "noise" in these posts are so "loud" I can't even pinpoint what we are arguing and/or what your point is.

I'll summarize mine... Local Authorities didn't do enough; it's the Federal Governments job to step in once local Government is tapped out; I don't think it's Bush's (nor Kerry's if he was president) fault that response has been weak.
Old 09-03-2005, 04:41 PM

I see lots of these 'poor' people who are morbidly obese. If this is America's 'poor', we pwn.