Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-20-2005, 01:45 PM

Default Re: Conservative Perception of Liberals

[ QUOTE ]
Like what? Mess things up? Skew the free market? Stagnate growth?

[/ QUOTE ]

I've seen my fair share of the private sector do these as well.

On another note, you think IBM would reap the benefits of a free market if it weren't for Pentagon funding?

There is a lot of talk from business (this isn't necessarily directed at you, Gryph) about keeping the government out of everything, but they're more than willing to take government handouts and tax breaks (which amount to a government hand out).
Old 10-20-2005, 01:46 PM

Default Re: A Radio Interview I Heard Today

[ QUOTE ]

My view of liberals is they love to cut defense/intelligence, overspend on social programs, and cower to aggression/threats from hostile nations.

[/ QUOTE ]

See option (a), above. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-20-2005, 01:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
When has the government ever be altruistic?

[/ QUOTE ]

Any natural disaster? Of course the extent to which the government helps the disaster is determined by who heads the department that helps disasters and who appoints these people. But that's another thread...

[/ QUOTE ]

Citizens donating to the hurricane relief are altruistic. The government is covering its butt and always will be. It is easy to give money away when it is not yours in the first place. A good question would be how many of the politicians give the same or more of their own money to the causes they vote for. Tied expendatures to their salaries by the percentage and then see how altruistic they are.

-Gryph
Old 10-20-2005, 02:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I-know-better-than-you-because-I-went-to-haaavaard line.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm guessing a Harvard graduate (lets say, a vast majority of Harvard graduates) knows better than most - by that, I mean, if you fill the 'you' in here (where I bolded) with 95-99% of Americans, I'm willing to wager the Harvard graduate is smarter and has vastly more well-reasoned opinions and judgments.

In other words, I'm guessing a Harvard graduate does know better than you - if 'you' = 95% of Americans, and perhaps more. I'd be interested on what David S. has to say about this. I could be way off, but I'm guessing a great majority of Harvard graduates are also in the top 5% of knowledgeable Americans.

So I'm not sure why it's wrong for liberals to acknowledge that Harvard grads know more than most. Is this something conservatives deny?
Old 10-20-2005, 02:09 PM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">En respuesta a:</font><hr />
</font><blockquote><font class="small">En respuesta a:</font><hr />
I-know-better-than-you-because-I-went-to-haaavaard line.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm guessing a Harvard graduate (lets say, a vast majority of Harvard graduates) knows better than most - by that, I mean, if you fill the 'you' in here (where I bolded) with 95-99% of Americans, I'm willing to wager the Harvard graduate is smarter and has vastly more well-reasoned opinions and judgments.

In other words, I'm guessing a Harvard graduate does know better than you - if 'you' = 95% of Americans, and perhaps more. I'd be interested on what David S. has to say about this. I could be way off, but I'm guessing a great majority of Harvard graduates are also in the top 5% of knowledgeable Americans.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, this is so wrong. Havent you seen Good Will Hunting?
Old 10-20-2005, 02:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Like what? Mess things up? Skew the free market? Stagnate growth?

[/ QUOTE ]

I've seen my fair share of the private sector do these as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. Enron etc. But they have the ability to go out of business for their actions. That is part of the market response. Goverment doesn't get that. It just blames it on the guy next to them.

[ QUOTE ]

On another note, you think IBM would reap the benefits of a free market if it weren't for Pentagon funding?

[/ QUOTE ]

No. In that case though, the Pentagon is a customer that gets a tangable product from the investment. This is good business sense.

[ QUOTE ]

There is a lot of talk from business (this isn't necessarily directed at you, Gryph) about keeping the government out of everything, but they're more than willing to take government handouts and tax breaks (which amount to a government hand out).

[/ QUOTE ]

You honestly think the government letting you keep MORE of your money is a handout? That is a liberal mindset that logically makes no sense to me in the first place. I can understand social programs and I do see the benefit to them in the benefit the world sense. I personally give on the order of 15-20% of my pre-tax income to charitable orgs because I believe in education, housing and foreign and domestic aid. I just don't want to the government to waste money on some rich bureaucrate with no accountability and dwindle my dollars to nothing for causes that I believe in or oppose.

-Gryph
Old 10-20-2005, 02:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Dude, this is so wrong. Havent you seen Good Will Hunting?

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point.

I think Harvard grads wasted $150,000 on an education they coulda' got for a buck fifty in late charges at the public library. I take back everything I said about Harvard grads. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 10-20-2005, 02:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]

So I'm not sure why it's wrong for liberals to acknowledge that Harvard grads know more than most. Is this something conservatives deny?

[/ QUOTE ]

It depends on what they know more about. I think it was William F Buckley who said he'd rather be governed by the first 400 names in the Boston phone book than the Harvard factulty.

Is there any chance that attending Harvard or other elite schools might insulate people from the real world?
Old 10-20-2005, 02:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is there any chance that attending Harvard or other elite schools might insulate people from the real world?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know. I never particularly understood what constituted the 'real world' and why some people might live in it, while others do not. Probably a discussion for another day. But to answer your question, I have no idea.
Old 10-20-2005, 02:42 PM

I went to Carnegie-Mellon for awhile and Harvard is considered a joke for this exact reason. They are real smart people but are isolationists and control freaks that try to pin constants to ease variables so much that it distorts reality. So their theories work great in the classroom, but fail miserably in the real world. They are very articulate as well. Works well in the law department but not in the other fields.

-Gryph