Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2005, 02:21 PM

Default Re: $200 NL 6max...things heat up with 2 overpair hands

hand 1--raise the flop
hand 2--nice bet on the flop by him... Definite fold on the turn though--he has a set (or some goofy 10 7...).
Old 11-03-2005, 02:28 PM

Old 11-03-2005, 02:57 PM

Hand 1 - As said earlier, try raising 4x the BB, but 3x wasn't all that bad. Definately bet the flop hard with a bet of at least 70%-90% of the pot size, if he calls, continue betting near pot size on the turn. If raised on the turn, consider odds and call him down.
Old 11-03-2005, 03:02 PM

Hey Bobbo,

I guess I misplayed these, huh? I'm new to NL - I'd appreciate any input you could give. If it's too basic don't worry about it, I'm in the process of sifting through the info in the sticky, i'll probably find stuff there.

Surf
Old 11-03-2005, 03:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hand 1 - As said earlier, try raising 4x the BB, but 3x wasn't all that bad. Definately bet the flop hard with a bet of at least 70%-90% of the pot size, if he calls, continue betting near pot size on the turn. If raised on the turn, consider odds and call him down.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not totally sure why I would want to price myself into a call...I can offer him 3:1 and he is still not getting odds for his flush (his flop bet was just big enough that I didn't mind calling). I don't see what hands that are behind would put in a big raise here on the turn.

Surf
Old 11-03-2005, 03:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hey Bobbo,

I guess I misplayed these, huh? I'm new to NL - I'd appreciate any input you could give. If it's too basic don't worry about it, I'm in the process of sifting through the info in the sticky, i'll probably find stuff there.

Surf

[/ QUOTE ]

The big problem with #1 is you severly under represented your hand. If pf is standard, cool, you could be opening (and should be) alot of hands there.

Its 5handed, on the flop, a fairly draw heavy board (but you had A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]) it's not terribly draw heavy, but fairly* he bets less then half pot and you call. OK, perhaps if you thought he was weak to drop Kx to a flop raise and push some draws putting you in a tough spot, calling is ok.

On the turn a broadway hits, possible gutshot (if he's leading out with QT or QT[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]) maybe he hit KJ, J9 if he was semibluffing flop, etc. Maybe just Jx[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. So he checks though. 2flush on board you decide to underbet, this isn't a good time, this is a pot bet spot. However, he now checkraises...

So, you've merely called the flop and underbet the turn; if he's thinking at all, he's probably not thinking you have as good of a hand as you have. but still, you just have one pair, on a board where 2pair or better is possible, and could be in villain's hand range. This creates a tough (hence "yucky", the picture [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] ) spot. You could have the best hand, but making real tough decisions like this barring a read dont show good profit.

As played I stick it in, but folding is probably right/better.

so the moral of hand 1 is you're forcing yourself to make a very difficult decision where alot of BBs could go into the pot bad, but they may have to, if that makes sense.

Hand 2 isn't that bad at all, it's a fairlyroutine fold unless you've really been putting the cranks on the table. FWIW i like your flop bet amount, the turn you need to go a bit bigger, I doubt he's checkraising weak acting on your weakish turn bet though.
Old 11-03-2005, 03:31 PM

Hey Bobbo,

Thanks for the analysis. Hand1 is "yucky"... you're right, I underrepresented my hand and played it in such a way that villain won't be sure about my hand range - except that I think my hand is weak. A bigger turn bet is good because i'm less likely to get semiblff c/r'd (though K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]X[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] or A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] are possibilities?).

Hand 2 was tough in general. I was frustrated with myself for calling the turn without really thinking too hard about it...if I really think about what villain is trying to accomplish - and the fact that he puts me pretty squarely on an overpair given the action - it should be an easy fold.

Surf