Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-22-2005, 05:09 PM

Default Re: TEAM BUSH promotes nuclear power as solution to climate change.

[ QUOTE ]
Nuclear energy has had a bad rap for a long time, but, with the exception of the cherynobyl disaster and the relitivly minor three mile island event, it has been very safe. Also, there has not been a new reactor built in the U.S. since the sixties- modern reactor designs have been touted as meltdown-proof, and the storage problem is more of a result of poor planning than technical difficulties.

Bottom line? the nuclear boogyman has kept the U.S and other countries (germany, U.K) form realizing the potential of this very clean and safe energy source. Nuclear fission, if done properly, is, IMO, an excelent energy source.

wired article on pebble bed reactors

an opposing veiwpoint

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree completely that nuclear power is safe in countries like the US that would dilligently monitor nuclear power plants. However, I don not have the same faith in countries like China and India.
Old 04-22-2005, 05:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
However, I don not have the same faith in countries like China and India.

[/ QUOTE ]

ignoring the fact that india and china each have a large population of highly educated techical workers and ample motivation to keep the nuclear power safe, the pebblebed reactor design is meltdown proof and the waste can be stored very easily and safely.

I think each of those nations would be far safer than russia is now with their nuclear plants.

BTW: "Currently, about 77% of France's electricity comes from the country's 58 nuclear reactors. This represents a dramatic change from 1973, when fossil fuels accounted for more than 80% of French power generation."

just thought that was interesting
Old 04-23-2005, 12:56 AM

Man this sucks. I actually like Bush as a person because I think he is honest. However, I'm really starting to think he is an idiot.

johnc - you need to do a search on global warming in this forum. Zeno, John Feeney, Nicky G, and I have decimated every arguement from the other side countless times.

As for cold fusion ... do some more research.

Adios:

There is so much wrong with this. There isn't enough nuclear material to do this. Plus, even though no CO2 is released from the power plant, the mining and refining process releases 34 grams of CO2 per generated kilowatt (kWh). Nuclear isn't as bright as you think it is. Uranium isn't that common. Also, not even the nuclear people want this. I don't have time to go into this but there is so much wrong with this. Besides, This has already covered this topic countless times. Adios, I'm surprised you don't pay attention to my threads.

[ QUOTE ]

Bottom line? the nuclear boogyman has kept the U.S and other countries (germany, U.K) form realizing the potential of this very clean and safe energy source. Nuclear fission, if done properly, is, IMO, an excelent energy source.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's safe, and we have found the holy grail for disposing of the waste, but....

Why do I even bother.....

I going out.
Old 04-23-2005, 01:25 AM

Default It begs the question

Man this sucks. I actually like Bush as a person because I think he is honest. However, I'm really starting to think he is an idiot.

Would you rather have an honest idiot or a randy smart guy running the country?
Old 04-23-2005, 01:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wacki, he is an idiot because he wants to further investigate the use of nuclear power? Am I missing something?
Old 04-23-2005, 03:41 AM

I'm not gung ho about nuclear energy myself. What I noted was that Bush at least recognizes that fossil fuel and global warming are linked together. I believe this is a significant recognition by the president. It may not seem like it's all that significant but think about how many in his base don't acknowledge that link. FWIW when the president acknowledges the problem then solutions to that problem can be debated on their merits. Furthermore this acknowledgement allows the debate to revolve around the viability of solutions and thus it is not impeded by any debate as whether or not the problem exists. Perhaps I'm reading too much into Bush's statmement but I think it's a large victory for those who have warned us about the link between fossil fuel and global warming when the president of the U.S. concurs.
Old 04-23-2005, 03:41 AM

You know what is really sad. I'm incredibly smashed right now and I just realized how many spelling errors I made when I was sober. (In my defense I was multitasking to the extreme, but still)

[ QUOTE ]
Wacki, he is an idiot because he wants to further investigate the use of nuclear power?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, there is nothing wrong with furthering nuclear power IMO.

[ QUOTE ]
Am I missing something?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, if there was a barn 10 feet in front of you, you couldn't hit it with a shotgun. Nuclear power is not a cure all. Fusion is cure all if we ever do the [censored] research, but depending on fision is a [censored] moronic move.

Will explain later. This has already been explained a million times in this forum. I really don't care anymore. Humans are stupid.

-Drunk wacki.
Old 04-23-2005, 03:50 AM

Again unless I am missing something I don't think he said it was a cure all. I know I didn't.
Old 04-23-2005, 04:08 AM

Default Upon Furrther Review

When I saw this blurb in today's WSJ I assumed that Bush had mentioned climate change in his CNBC interview. Silly me. He didn't as far as I can tell as I took the time to find the text of the interview now. Apparently the WSJ columnist made an implication that was not there.
Old 04-23-2005, 04:33 AM

I also like nuclear power. My friend from high school wants to get a loan to build a nuclear power plant. His dad has made lots of money building hydro-electric plants. How realistic is my friend's plans? He has two problems. 1. Securing a loan/investors. 2. Getting a permit to build such a plant.

Since I've been drinking and Im off an random tangets. I also like Bush the person. He's the kind of guy I would invite to my Super Bowl party if he were my neighbor (though he wouldnt drink my beer). The "Bush is the devil" people are wrong. He just is perhaps a bit arrogant that his view of the world is correct.