Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-13-2004, 02:47 PM

Default Re: Choose your preflop plays - sort of a quiz

I was surprised cold call of 22 on the button. I understand that with some LAG you might make great money, but I think its more probable than normal that there is a bigger pair out there which does reduce the value of 22 somewhat (I know set over set is rare, but if AA-TT is going to the river, thats 4 cards that he has to get a set, this will happen what 16%, I know he doesn't have to have those hands and if he does, I'll make great money when he doesn't make a set...hmm...okay...I call, you convinced me [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]).

Raising KTs is another one, I almost always call, sometimes fold. If I am in a Feeney game like the one with JTs, "Expert thought": These guys like to cold call raises and chase big pots, they normally put me on a big hand to raise here, but since the aren't scared, I'll vary my play...But normally the guys in my game aren't so gullible to call my UTG raises with worse than KTs, some are though. Perhaps if I get KTs or similar UTG, I will raise more and experiment with the effects.
Old 06-13-2004, 04:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
2) Fairly aggressive UTG raises, you hold 99 UTG+1.

[/ QUOTE ]

If fairly aggressive means he'll raise with too many hands then why not call this one?
Old 06-13-2004, 05:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]

If fairly aggressive means he'll raise with too many hands then why not call this one?

[/ QUOTE ]

Theres more to consider than that.
Old 06-13-2004, 08:02 PM

1. Limp - my raise is not likely to thin the field and I risk getting 3 bet isolated (or semi-isolated) out of position. I want to play this hand here, but for 2 bets or less preferably.

2. Raise. This assumes the game is typical and a 3 bet is respected, especially from early position. If this isn't the case than I call. I want to play this here.

3. Fold. This is a bad spot with a bad hand.

4. Limp. You expect enough action to play this profitably.

5. Limp/Fold. I think this is close between limping and folding. I think it would depend on my table presence and mood, mostly mood.

6. Fold.

7. Call.

8. Fold.

9. Call. This is close though, with 3 cold callers I call for sure but with 2 it's close IMO.
Old 06-13-2004, 10:16 PM

1) Limp
2) Fold
3) Fold
4) Fold
5) Fold
6) Fold in both cases
7) Reraise
8) Fold
9) Fold

So how did I do? I know...I'm a rock [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 06-13-2004, 10:36 PM

Yeah I was suprised by these statements too. Would appreciate advice if I'm getting this wrong.

In an early position, I'd far prefer a low pair to A-x suited or K-10 suited for that matter. Either you hit your set on the flop or you don't, irrespective of position.

With A-x suited or K-10 suited, you're playing for straight or flush draws. In either case I feel you really need the advantage of late position to get free cards and make this profitable.

Why am I wrong here?

Was also suprised by folding 9-9 with a raise before you. Seems like a case where you want to reraise to isolate.
Old 06-13-2004, 11:06 PM

#2 - Like folding 9's here, though few players seem to make it.

#4 - Surprised you may call UTG w/4's, but see why based on expectation of 4-5 callers in raised pot scenario.

Comapring the two hands, I guess in hand #2 you weren't expecting multi-way action?
Old 06-14-2004, 12:51 AM

1) 88 after 2 folds.
call

2) Fairly aggressive UTG raises, you hold 99 UTG+1.
call

3) It is folded to you on the button, you hold K8o. BB is extremely tricky and defends his blind religiously, SB is tight.
fold

4) 44 UTG.
fold

5) KTs UTG.
call

6) Tight UTG raise, 1 cold call from a fish, you hold KQs on the button.

a) Both blinds are loose.
call

b) Both blinds are tight.
fold

7) 77 in your BB after an extremely aggressive button open raises and SB folds.
raise

8) 22 in MP after 4 folds.
fold

9) Tight UTG raise, 2 calls from LAGs, you hold deuces on the button.
call
Old 06-14-2004, 01:25 AM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

a rare small stakes Tosh sighting!

for some reason I don't find that the average Party 5/10 table has 4-5 people seeing the flop on average. maybe I haven't played enough hands there. I usually play really aggressive preflop at those tables since the majority of players seem to only like cold-calling with KQo or better.

1. at a LAGish table, I'll just call hoping for a nice flop rather than raising and hoping to get 3-handed

2. easy 3-bet for me. pocket pairs are easy to play against aggressive players.

3. fold. against a tricky player in this situation, I at least like to have A-high to call him down, or a drawing hand, in case he decides to play back at me (since I'll hit the flop a lot more often than K8o)

4. when I first started playing 5/10, I would limp with suited aces and small pairs. I'm sure that cost me a lot of money and is probably part of the reason I'm playing 3/6 now. so I muck, especially at a LAG table.

5. I think this is worth a limp if 4-5 are seeing the flop. I fold at a tighter table though

6. I call with especially loose blinds, fold with average-tight blinds. I'd like to have 4-5 way action. I don't like to be 3-handed here against a tight raiser.

7. call and check-raise the flop unless 2 broadway cards come

8. muck

9. again, with loose blinds I call, tight blinds I fold. 2 LAGs in the pot is tempting though.
Old 06-14-2004, 01:28 AM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Raise. It's a raise or fold kind of hand. Since I'm MP2 here, I think I've got a fair possibility of being heads-up or taking it down right here.

[/ QUOTE ]
22 is not my favorite heads-up hand (should it be?), and you're not taking it down in 5/10.

[/ QUOTE ]

this reminds me of one time in a live 10/20 game where I open raised deuces on the button. the BB called and bet into me on an extremely coordinated flop. I stupidly raised him, then caught runner runner quads. deuces are a great heads up hand, as long as you're sure that the turn and river will both be deuces.