Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-29-2005, 01:09 PM

Default Re: MGM Poker Room - The Best Room in Vegas?

I hope you are right man, that would make it a preferred location for me. 8)

What's your take on the Wynn PR? I have now heard conflicting views, and I just think Wynn's location sucks, so it might be the opposite.

>TW<
Old 03-29-2005, 01:19 PM

I'll be checking it out this weekend. Looking forward to it.
Old 03-29-2005, 01:38 PM

Depends on where you live. MGM is way more convenient for me than the north end of the strip. Even just getting to Bellagio seems to take forever these days.
Old 03-29-2005, 02:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The MGM isn't (yet) the place to go for high stakes action, but I think it *could* be.

[/ QUOTE ]

No it couldn't. The chances of that were miniscule before Wynn was about to open. Now that Wynn is coming along, it will be very rare that the MGM gets more than a single 20-40 going. The location is simply too inconvenient for locals.

[/ QUOTE ]

Based on what I've read, I think the MGM Grand is going to put up a good fight. Being on the east side of the Strip is inconvientient for most locals. But, locals also have a hard time getting into Bellagio and will face the same east side problem with Wynn. Everyone but me seems to complain about the Mirage. So, the MGM Grand has a shot.

The computerized waiting list is similar to what I saw at Foxwoods this weekend. It obviously blows away the clipboards of the Bellagio and Mirage. (It also leaves big boards like the Commerce has in the dust too). $1.50/hr comps are going to bring in some loyal locals. And, there should be a massive tourist base with the 5,000 room hotel above.

The next 6-12 months of poker in Las Vegas is going to be interesting. We're going to see a good fight between the Bellagio, Mirage, Wynn, and MGM Grand (and maybe the Rio and Caesars Palace).

Mason has written a few times about how the big cardrooms of the 1980's lost all their business when the Mirage (and later Bellagio) opened up and offered much better service. We may be seeing that again.
Old 03-29-2005, 09:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Mason has written a few times about how the big cardrooms of the 1980's lost all their business when the Mirage (and later Bellagio) opened up and offered much better service. We may be seeing that again.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm, if they offer to give my rake back to me, I might have to start playing B&M again. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 03-29-2005, 02:59 PM

I couldn't disagree with you more. I find MGM must better location for locals and tourists alike. can get access to parking garage from Koval or Tropicana very easily. Or park in NY NY. must less traffic congestion than up at Wynn's location. not that much farther to walk from garages to poker room than other properties and if you plan to play several hours anyway, who cares about an extra few minutes walking.
Old 03-29-2005, 04:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The location is simply too inconvenient for locals.

[/ QUOTE ]

High stakes games aside, this is actually a very GOOD thing. Vegas locals are mostly rocks, jerks, or both. They may be good for providing bodies to start games, but they are usually a major detriment to the game once they are in it.

By the way, I scoped the 10-20 out three different times last night, and all three times I chose not to give up my seat in the very magooey 6-12 game, where the average pots were just as big or bigger in $$ amounts.

I am not sure, but I don't think 20-40 ever got going. Doesn't matter because I wouldn't play those stakes while drinking anyway. But hell, for day ONE they sure had a nice selection of games!

al
Old 03-29-2005, 01:21 PM

OK it was day 1, and new system, so please re-review in 1 month...

All the dealers there are good, just new to the system and somewhat rusty in some cases.

They were very picky on who they hired.

>TW<
Old 03-29-2005, 01:42 PM

yah, but it'll be sloppy seconds - (i.e. - whoever couldn't get into Wynn)

When I was in Vegas, once a dealer found out I was from Minneapolis, I expected 2 things to come from their mouth.

1. - They would ask if I knew Deborah, who was the manager for Canterbury's card room and is now the card room manager for the Wynn

2. - I would expect them to say they had auditioned or were auditioning for the job and were going to meet her if they hadn't already. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

RB
Old 03-29-2005, 01:58 PM

We some folks couldn't wait the extra month for the Wynn opening too I am sure.

I still am not expecting much from Wynn's, I have to fall back to, I'll believe it when I see it, for me in Henderson it's more of a traffic headache then South end.

And true be known, I am not a high stakes player either, ATM, so I have to factor that in, knowing I can find magoos at 1/2 NL and up to 6/12 for now without having to venture down there.

I am very curious to see how it plays out, that spot where it's at, doesn't have a glowing recent past $ wise.

>TW<