Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-29-2005, 11:26 AM

Default Re: Flopped 2pr to broadway flop - what should I do

There are 720 in the pot before the flop. You likely have the best hand on a scary board. Once the SB bets 200, I would make a huge raise or push. Your raise to 500 did very little and gave the SB easy odds to call on a draw. If he has AK he has 7 outs. Concerning the other 4 limpers, if someone flopped a STR8 you have 4 outs and can start another tournamnet if you lose. I think you need to get a lot of chips in the pot very quickly on this board.

After the turn, the pot is so huge you might as well push.
Old 07-29-2005, 11:30 AM

Ok, well, after the turn card I simply check.
Old 07-29-2005, 11:33 AM

I don't like this line of pushing. He's not going anywhere. You have a limper who has also called to contend with too. There is simply no need to push here, why not just check, see what the limper does? At the moment you may or may not have the best hand, but whatever, you have at least got a draw to the full house, if you bet here, and get pushed on, you're gonna have to make a very hard decision, and if you push, you're going to get called if the limper has hit his flush (obviously) or by the SB anyway, so whether you see the river or not won't make a difference to that action.

Pushing gains nothing and loses everything in this spot. And I'm sorry but I think this advice "concerning the other 4 limpers, if someone flopped a STR8 you have 4 outs and can start another tournamnet if you lose." is terrible - so why push when you could just check and hit one of those 4 outs for absolutely nothing?
Old 07-29-2005, 11:35 AM

Thanks for all the answers - this is what I did do on the turn

SB checks - I bet half my stack (400 chips) assuming the limper will fold and trying to induce the all in from the SB (assuming my AK read is correct) however, the early limper reraises AI - the SB folds - i thought for the full 15 secs and called, putting him on Ace small or maybe 2pr

he had 3 6 spades [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] so he hits his flush [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

should have guessed really.....

Thanks - next time will throw it away, or (if I forget to!!) will raise the SB flop bet more (prolly 3X his bet rather than 2X)

Cheers

Damian
Old 07-29-2005, 11:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? Nearly a third of the deck looks horrendous for you, and it's likely that if this guy is hanging around he has some kind of draw, but you don't know which one. I think you have to bet here.
Old 07-29-2005, 11:37 AM

What early limper? Your description of the flop action made it sound like the only person you were up against on the turn was the SB, who had raised PF. Can you post a hand history of this hand? I'm very confused about the action now. EDIT: Okay, I went back and read it and see that I saw the "all fold to SB" and not the limper calls.
Old 07-29-2005, 11:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? Nearly a third of the deck looks horrendous for you, and it's likely that if this guy is hanging around he has some kind of draw, but you don't know which one. I think you have to bet here.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've just posted why.
Old 07-29-2005, 11:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What early limper? Your description of the flop action made it sound like the only person you were up against on the turn was the SB, who had raised PF. Can you post a hand history of this hand? I'm very confused about the action now.

[/ QUOTE ]

"SB bets 210 - at this point I thought AK probe bet, therefore I raise to 510 hoping to isolate, 1st limper calls (has played every hand, winning 2 without showing by overbetting the pot - e.g. 400 into a pot of 120 on a raggedy flop), all fold to SB who also calls."

(He put BB in original post - see the "1st limper calls" bit? Who has also "played every hand" so is more likely to have "two suited cards", because he is terrible).

[ QUOTE ]
Pushing gains nothing and loses everything in this spot.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're very wrong. If neither other player has a straight or flush draw it denies them the proper odds to continue. I think we're frequently ahead here and I don't want to give my opponents a free chance to draw out.

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for all the answers - this is what I did do on the turn

SB checks - I bet half my stack (400 chips) assuming the limper will fold and trying to induce the all in from the SB (assuming my AK read is correct) however, the early limper reraises AI - the SB folds - i thought for the full 15 secs and called, putting him on Ace small or maybe 2pr

he had 3 6 spades [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] so he hits his flush [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

should have guessed really.....

Thanks - next time will throw it away, or (if I forget to!!) will raise the SB flop bet more (prolly 3X his bet rather than 2X)

Cheers

Damian

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, there's a shock. Now if you'd checked that wouldn't have happened.