Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-24-2005, 12:41 PM

Default Re: Talk to me about a large number of 6th place finishes....

I think its pretty standard, basically you blind yourself down through the first couple levels, push something decent at level 4/5 and when you get called you either finish 6th/7th or double up and usually make the money.
Old 06-24-2005, 12:56 PM

This is a trend I've seen for awhile in my finishes (ie. 6ths finishing more than any other spot, including 1sts). Perhaps it is good to take the bustouts I do in trade for more ITM spots. Perhaps not. Perhaps its variance. But it is something I want to look at because my ROI isn't always going to be so high, and I could be missing out on an even higher ROI.

I don't usually pay too much attention to my place distribution since it's hard to draw any conclusions from it other than if you're a winning player or not, and even thats only good for the obvious cases (too many 7th-10th finishes, for example). But I think my high 6th place finishes are indicative of something. Does it mean its good to take those 6ths? If yes, then I'll be happy to know to take those in the future. Maybe I'll even get to look forward to them. If not, then maybe I can plug an ROI hole that's big enough to affect hourly rate. Or maybe it really isn't indicating anything. In any case I'd at least like to know since I don't see the trend going away.

But it's certainly nothing I'm going to lose sleep over.
Old 06-24-2005, 01:04 PM

talk to me about small sample size
Old 06-24-2005, 01:11 PM

Your large % of 6ths and 7ths may be the reason that you are taking so few 3rds.
Old 06-24-2005, 01:16 PM

I'm pretty sure I answered this exact question a little over a week ago.

After 600+ SNGs, I've finished in 6th more than every other position except 1st. It goes something like 1, 6, 3, 4, 2, 5, 7, 8, 9, 10. Oh, my ROI is 20%, so I must be doing something right.
Old 06-24-2005, 01:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Your large % of 6ths and 7ths may be the reason that you are taking so few 3rds.

[/ QUOTE ]

7th used to be my big OOTM finish by quite a bit (and 1st was my most frequent of all by quite a bit) so I took steps to lower this and now my 7th place finishes are way down but my most frequent finish has become 3rd and my ROI has dropped accordingly...

I have decided to move back to 1st's and 7th's...

OP, with the ROI you are showing I wouldn't change a thing. You are probably doubling up a lot in level 4ish giving you a great win rate and the side affect of that is busting out in 6th when you lose the all-in.
Old 06-24-2005, 01:47 PM

tell us about what part of boston you live in so we can invite you to a game [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-24-2005, 03:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It would be one thing if you had a ton of 9ths and 10ths, but it seems to me that the reason so many of us have alot of 6ths, for example, is because we're not just letting ourselves getting blinded down into irrelevancy.

Sure, maddog's got alot of 6ths, but how many times was he relatively short stacked, took a chance, doubled up and ended up taking 1st?

[/ QUOTE ]

I view 4th-6th as almost the exact same finish position on Party. I do this because the blinds increase so rapidly that depending on the texture of the table you hit these push/fold blinds between positions 4-6 the most. Since many 2+2'ers are pushing from the sb/button when blinds are high they are getting unlucky at times and busting out.

As long as your ROI is high and you have no "weird" finish percentages, I don't see any reason at all to worry. If 7th was your highest place, I might be concerned, but we all know that the blinds can get very high with anywhere from 4-6 people still left.

Don't they say those who have really high ROIs finish in 1st and 4th the most? And if we consider 4-6 the same, then no problem at all.

EDIT - If you are going to bust out, might as well bust out in 10th so you can get in another sng quickly. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] I think I shall create a new sng strategy: Knowing the sngs you bust out and purposely get out in 10th so you can make way for only those sngs that you get ITM. Gotta make that hourly rate go up. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]