Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-23-2005, 03:09 PM

Default Re: How many people do you think are unaware of basic physics/chemistr

amongst major world leaders, i'd expect the answer to be somewhere north of 98% and that's just "general concepts of physics and or chemistry," not stretching to theory of relativity or anything.
Old 11-23-2005, 03:12 PM

Default Re: How many people do you think are unaware of basic physics/chemistry?

[ QUOTE ]
Inspired by all the physics posts, what percent of people do you think are unaware of fundamental chemistry and physics concepts that rule our world? The theory of relativity is a huge one. If you find a random person on the street and tell them that the speed of light is constant no matter how fast you are going and time changes depending on how fast you go, I think it would blow their mind. What about atoms? How many people do you think are unaware of atoms?

It makes me very sad that we've advanced this far but the majority of people don't know [censored] about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Given how most people don't even know things like the capital of the USA, how many states there are in the USA, and such, I think the answer to your question is pretty simple.
Old 11-23-2005, 03:16 PM

Default Re: How many people do you think are unaware of basic physics/chemistry?

[ QUOTE ]
If you find a random person on the street and tell them that the speed of light is constant no matter how fast you are going and time changes depending on how fast you go, I think it would blow their mind.

[/ QUOTE ]

I doubt it, they probably would just not kow what you were talking about.
Old 11-23-2005, 03:17 PM

Who cares?

Einstein didn't know his phone number.

Knowing how to find out information you need is all that matters. If you don't use physics on a daily basis, knowing it is just a hobby, and you get to choose your hobbies.
Old 11-23-2005, 03:20 PM

i was a biochem major and hell i have forgotten most of what i have learned b/c i haven't applied any of it to daily life in years. yes, its unfortunate that we have progressed b/c of some of these concepts that hardly anyone understands, but i am really having a hard time understanding why it upsets you? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 11-23-2005, 04:23 PM

who the [censored] cares about atoms, anyway?
Old 11-23-2005, 04:26 PM

Easily 95% of people don't understand relativity. Also, nobody understands quantum mechanics [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-23-2005, 04:28 PM

I'd say 98% or more. But I don't think you would blow anyones mind explaining relativity to them, if they didn't get it, they'd just nod politely and shrug it off.
Old 11-23-2005, 04:33 PM

I think i'd be willing to say that 15% of the population understands newtons laws.
Old 11-23-2005, 04:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Knowing how to find out information you need is all that matters. If you don't use physics on a daily basis, knowing it is just a hobby, and you get to choose your hobbies.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. On a similiar topic to the OP, in one of my classes today we learned about a small town in Tenesse that was kind of closed off from the rest of the world. Before the introduction of technology and communication, the average IQ was 83. That is borderline retarded.

Now that is sad, but also very funy.