Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-22-2004, 10:59 AM

Default Re: Was hansen\'s call wrong?

Hi thetman,

[ QUOTE ]
What does everyone think of Gus? Did he just get very lucky last season? Is he that good? I'm curious.

[/ QUOTE ]

He's that good. As Howard Lederer said in an interview last season, "Gus can play a King-nine offsuit because he makes such great decisions throughout the hand, and that makes him very dangerous." When Howard Lederer says Gus makes great decisions, I'm inclined to take his word for it. And from what I've seen of Gus' play -- both on the WPT and online -- he is one of the very best post-flop NL players I've ever watched.

Yes, he's definitely that good.

Cris
Old 03-22-2004, 04:45 PM

I agree with the comments in general that the call was correct. However I disagree with the discounting of Paul holding AA or KK. Paul knows there's a decent chance he'll get called, because he knows that Gus knows that he could be raising with anything.
Old 03-22-2004, 05:10 PM

Ah, you've now taken it to the 4th level. Hansen makes certain plays. Phillips knows he makes these plays so he factors this into his play. Hansen knows Phillips knows so he in turn factors this in and lastly Phillips knows that Hansen knows that Phillips knows. Excellent!!
Old 03-22-2004, 05:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What does everyone think of Gus? Did he just get very lucky last season? Is he that good? I'm curious.

[/ QUOTE ]

He is scary good.
Old 03-22-2004, 07:48 PM

He's one of the best 5 or 10 players in the world. I'd consider saying that he is -the- best, just because of the consistency he shows that others in his class do not.

~D
Old 03-22-2004, 07:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I agree with the comments in general that the call was correct. However I disagree with the discounting of Paul holding AA or KK. Paul knows there's a decent chance he'll get called, because he knows that Gus knows that he could be raising with anything.

[/ QUOTE ]

Paul Philips isn't that good.
Old 03-22-2004, 08:38 PM

Location: Wonderful Copenhagen, home of The Feared Danish Mob

Yes, he's definitely that good.

When I see my friend Gus in a few weeks during the eastern holydays, I'll be glad to tell him that you consider him one of the best [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Maybe I'll ask him what he thought in this specific spot [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 03-22-2004, 11:42 PM

Hiya William,

My all-time favorite Gus Hansen comment happened in the table chat at Phil Hellmuth's UB table about a year ago. Gus' second WPT win had just been televised, and one of the players asked Phil what he thought of Gus. Phil complimented Gus' play, and one of the railbirds said: "Gus sucks. I beat him at a .25/.50 NL table today. All you have to do is get good cards."

Phil's response: "Duh."

Cris
Old 03-22-2004, 11:46 PM

Location: Wonderful Copenhagen, home of The Feared Danish Mob

I haven't had the privilege of meeting Hellmuth, but I have known Gustav(as he is named) for 15 years.
We were backgammon pros before turning to poker and have travelled to many places toghether.
The one thing I can certify, is that besides being "good", he is the luckiest person on earth [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-23-2004, 06:59 AM

He might have AA or KK but id say its far less likely than his other possible holding, and to consider as equally likely in your calculations would be a lazy decision.
I honestly think that folding TT is really really bad in that spot...and not even a close call. I think if you want to fold, you should think about adjusting how you play near the end of tournaments, but what do I know.