[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Who cares.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seconded, Jack. Seconded.
Old 11-29-2005, 01:10 PM

Default Re: Billy Wagner

"Does anyone else see doom in the Mets for the 500th time here for the Mets?"

They've added Delgado and Wagner, and will probably get Molina or Hernandez to catch. Seems to me like they'll be much improved.
Old 11-29-2005, 02:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
As a Phillies fan, I am very excited to see him go. No way is an injury-risk closer worth anywhere near that much dough or that many years. I'd much rather have the picks.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're lying to yourself. You'll see next season.

Gary

[/ QUOTE ]

Who cares? Not me. The Mets can have him. In 2004, he was whining about playing for an organization that "didn't want to make the playoffs" or something like that. Then in 2005, his gigantic chokes against Houston in September were the number one reason the Phils didn't make it. He is a choke artist and the Mets suck, so it is a good fit. When is the first Mets at Phillies game in 2006? I have to buy a ticket out by the bullpen.
Old 11-29-2005, 02:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
As a Phillies fan, I am very excited to see him go. No way is an injury-risk closer worth anywhere near that much dough or that many years. I'd much rather have the picks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Gary

[/ QUOTE ]

no way is wagner worth what the mets are giving him

[/ QUOTE ]

Who cares.

[/ QUOTE ]

duh, the point of my post was that the phillies hands were tied.

I can't decide whether minaya is a fool or a grandmaster, im not sure whether his idea of trying to make the mets competitive RIGHT NOW is a good idea. he has brought the mets back into being the second NY team rather than a pathetic afterthought, which has been huge for the organization and you have to give him tons of credit for that. the mets attendance went way way up last year and will go up again this year, and there is tons of excitement.

but after the mets overpay for beltran, pedro, delgado, and wagner, we'll see about whether anyone cares about the deals he made. if your a mets fan you have to like the why things are going, relative to before omar came in, but there's a very good chance that everyone turns around in 2 years and says "what was that crazy puerto rican doing??!"
Old 11-29-2005, 03:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
there's a very good chance that everyone turns around in 2 years and says "what was that crazy puerto rican doing??!"

[/ QUOTE ]

Everyone runs this risk. I like what they're doing. They have some very talented young players, and they're bringing in some very talented (albeit expensive) older players.

When you say to yourself tow thing we really need are a closer and power hitting first baseman and get Wagner and Delgado, I think you've got to be pretty pleased.

Yes, they're giving an extra year to all of these old pitchers. But that seems to be what it takes....
Old 11-29-2005, 03:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Gary

[/ QUOTE ]

no way is wagner worth what the mets are giving him

[/ QUOTE ]

As a Met fan, I can tell you the only person who has to care about what they pay him is Fred Wilpon.
Old 11-29-2005, 03:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
there's a very good chance that everyone turns around in 2 years and says "what was that crazy puerto rican doing??!"

[/ QUOTE ]

Everyone runs this risk. I like what they're doing. They have some very talented young players, and they're bringing in some very talented (albeit expensive) older players.

When you say to yourself tow thing we really need are a closer and power hitting first baseman and get Wagner and Delgado, I think you've got to be pretty pleased.

Yes, they're giving an extra year to all of these old pitchers. But that seems to be what it takes....

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd say I have very mixed feelings. I think the mets have done a lot of really good things and theyve revitalized their club and have a chance to be a legitimate top tier NL team, but the downside is that this could put this team into therapy. we will see, it will be interesting.
Old 11-29-2005, 05:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]

They've added Delgado and Wagner, and will probably get Molina or Hernandez to catch. Seems to me like they'll be much improved.

[/ QUOTE ]
Come on Andy, you remember
Roberto Alomar
Mo Vaughn
Jeremy Burnitz
John Thompson
Jay Bell
David Cone
Todd Zeile
Richard Hidalgo
Scott Erickson
Victor Zambrano
James Baldwin

And that's just off of the top of my head. It seems like there were more.

The Mets have pretty long history of overpaying veterans heading into the twilight of their career.
Old 11-29-2005, 05:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Roberto Alomar
Mo Vaughn
Jeremy Burnitz
John Thompson
Jay Bell
David Cone
Todd Zeile
Richard Hidalgo
Scott Erickson
Victor Zambrano
James Baldwin

The Mets have pretty long history of overpaying veterans heading into the twilight of their career.

[/ QUOTE ]
Of this list, only Vaughn and Alomar were bad free agent signings. Hidalgo was a colossal mistake that the Astros made, and Mets took a chance on him. Thomson was not making much back then, and was dealt away after two months. Zambrano is admittedly the worst trade in team history. The others were not given big-time money.

What team do you like? I'm sure I can point out as many piss-poor signings there as well.
Old 11-29-2005, 05:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Roberto Alomar
Mo Vaughn
Jeremy Burnitz
John Thompson
Jay Bell
David Cone
Todd Zeile
Richard Hidalgo
Scott Erickson
Victor Zambrano
James Baldwin

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe, but besides Vaughn and Alomar, how many of the players on the list were supposed to have made the Mets markedly better? We're talking about a top slugger and a top closer here.