Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-06-2004, 03:02 PM

Default Re: The 2/4 to 3/6 Jump

For those that didn't stay at 2/4 long, how many tables did (and are) you playing? I've been 4 tabling 2/4 and have gone back and forth on whether I should get a 2nd monitor to move up to 6 tables (and possibly 8 at a future date) OR just move up limits to 3/6. Obviously, moving up limits now and getting a 2nd monitor later is another option. But, am curious how many people decided to increase # of tables before increasing limits.
Old 12-06-2004, 03:06 PM

I found four tables to be a little too hectic for me so I'm playing two. My decision to ditch 2/4 came from the rake and small blind savings. I don't play much in my SB, so the 1/3 Bblind is beneficial for me.
Old 12-06-2004, 04:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
For those that didn't stay at 2/4 long, how many tables did (and are) you playing? I've been 4 tabling 2/4 and have gone back and forth on whether I should get a 2nd monitor to move up to 6 tables (and possibly 8 at a future date) OR just move up limits to 3/6. Obviously, moving up limits now and getting a 2nd monitor later is another option. But, am curious how many people decided to increase # of tables before increasing limits.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was in the same dilemma as you at the start of November. I was beating 2/4 for over 3bb / 100 (4 tabling) in the prior 50,000 hands.

So my decision was whether to move up to 4-tabling 3/6 or 6-8 tabling 2/4. I chose the latter. And it turned out to be very successful for the month of November. I did maintain a 3bb / 100 winrate in over 40,000 hands.

Some cons I found with it however, I tend to get "player-read lazy".

I wasn't getting on this forum as much lately because when you have 8 tables beeping at you, all your focus stays there.

The pros were I got to see so many hands in such a short period of time, that I cannot imagine it not improving my game a bit.

Question for you though Stupendous. Why buy the second monitor when you can just ad more party skins? You may not be aware but there is a little registry trick to play more than 4 tables at a time with party software.

Btw- I think the decision I made does not apply to everyone. I have some excellent poker friends who have trouble playing even 4 tables. I'm not sure why some can handle it and some cannot. If you find 4 tabling at any limit too hectic, but you are still a winning player, I'd just suggest moving up to the next level.
Old 12-06-2004, 08:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Question for you though Stupendous. Why buy the second monitor when you can just ad more party skins? You may not be aware but there is a little registry trick to play more than 4 tables at a time with party software.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hold on a second - are you saying you can play more than four tables at a time on one Party skin?
Old 12-07-2004, 01:38 AM

No. I'm saying you can add more skins. I play 4 tables on party and 4 tables on empire at once.
Old 12-06-2004, 03:29 PM

Festus,

Based on the quality of your posts as well as the results you have posted I am quite certain you will be a winning player at $3/6. Whether your overall earn will be immediately higher I cannot say. Since I don't know your personal situation I do not know how important it is for you to maximize this earn immediately (i.e., can you afford to make less per hour now if there is a benefit to come later, or do you really need to sustain a certain hourly earn). What I can say is that as a general matter I think players should take shots at the nextlevel whenever they have reason to believe they will succeed there AND they have a sufficient bankroll to weather any bad short-term swings. I thin you have both so it is worth at least taking a shot at $3/6. Making the move will also help to improve your game and keep developing as a player. In the long run you will have higher hourly earn as you become more and more successful at higher limits. You may want to transition to this move by playing a combination of limits rather than jumping completely to $3/6. That is up to you. Also, don't feel like you can't drop down if you don't feel comfortable for any reason or just if you are running bad off the start. It may take several shots before that is your default game but I am confiednt it will be soon.

Best of luck.

Colgin
Old 12-06-2004, 03:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Making the move will also help to improve your game and keep developing as a player.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the most important reason to move up. I'm not sure what your long term poker goals are, but if you plan to move up through the limits as high as you can go, then making the move to 3/6 even if you start out making less than 2/4 is still the right step.

Some people are perfectly content to take out some extra spending money from their 2/4 monthly winnings, but if you plan to move up and make the big $$$, than 3/6 is a great training ground to really find your game and become comfortable with all of the concepts. You end up in a decent number of 3-way and HU situations where your hand reading skills are tested and improved and the players are a little bit better than at 2/4.

Most of the respected players have gone through, if not are still at 3/6 and doing quite well.

My advice is to make the jump, and reap the benefits of improving your game. It will help you in the long run.
Old 12-06-2004, 03:30 PM

I suggest you play 2 tables of 2/4 and 2 tables of 3/6. This is the equivalent to jumping up a half level.

If you've won 400BB at 2/4, I think you will have no problem making this 'half jump'.
Old 12-06-2004, 03:57 PM

Festus,

I haven't played in either of those games in a while but my feeling is that if monetarily you'd be a wash playing 2/4 vs. 3/6, you should play 3/6.

The main reason being is that it is one step closer to a bigger game where the profit potential is certainly greater, assuming that is one of your goals.

If your goal is to just improve and expand your poker, then moving to 3/6 should help to accomplish that as well.

You have the skills, you have the bankroll, so just PLAY YOUR GAME and make the move.

gl,

Luke
Old 12-06-2004, 03:58 PM

Move up to 3-6 and forget about 2-4. You have plenty of bankroll and seem to play well enough due to your winrate and posts here.

IMO you should always play the highest limits you can afford. This increases your development as a player which is the most important reason to play. Some will argue that the most important reason to play is money, but I believe that an advanced player who can beat higher limits will make the most money.

So move up. Jump right and 4table.

The thing about 3-6 is that it is tighter and more aggressive. There are still plenty of idiots but the tend to be lags rather that loose passive. Sure, you can always find a couple lops at each table but its not near the amount at 2-4. Another frequent situation is playing heads up after the flop. In fact, if you play heads up after the flop well, you will make a lot at 3-6. It always amazes me how many people will call down or continue to bet with Ahigh or low pair.