Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2005, 12:58 PM

Default Re: 99 - I suck at playing \"Under\"pairs

I think this line is fine against an unknown.

As an alternate line, I could see check/folding the turn (pot is small, villain has been passive so far) and check/calling the river if the turn is checked through (would have bet the turn with a Q or J, and more likely to bet with his Ace high than to call a bet).
Old 10-12-2005, 01:08 PM

I dig your play. Now time to read the rest of the thread... *cringe*
Old 10-12-2005, 01:17 PM

Looks fine to me. Against a single opponent, you are ahead a lot of the time and you might even get a pair of Js to fold if the player is weak.
Old 10-12-2005, 01:17 PM

I'm not really crazy about the turn bet. There aren't too many reasonable hands he could be calling that flop with 2 cards in the playing zone and no flush possibility. Add the fact that he cold called preflop and there's a very good chance this flop hit him. Unless you think he'll call down with any pocket pair and/or ace high, I think the turn is a check/fold. The looser the player the more I like the turn bet as a tighter cold calling range is likely way ahead.

If you do bet the turn I think check/folding the river is fine, especially against a passive player.
Old 10-12-2005, 01:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Check-raise on the turn, fold to a three bet, and check-fold the river. The extra aggression of a check-raise can win it outright and make the opponent start thinking the may have the a losing hand.

If he checks through the turn, then bet the river. After the opponent has given up the chance to bet the turn a bet on the river can look like a check raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Attempting to check-raise the turn accomplishes nothing except losing an extra BB when behind, and giving a free card if the villain is drawing. Bet/folding the turn is much better. As it is, I think the OP played it fine.

[/ QUOTE ]
Trying to checkraise the turn is a really bad idea, for the reasons SH just outlined.
Old 10-12-2005, 01:32 PM

Call it a hunch, but I don't think anyone is weak enough to fold a set od Js here. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] (If you meant a pair of Ts, maybe.)
Old 10-12-2005, 03:30 PM

I think he meant a jack that paired the board (JT?) [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-12-2005, 03:33 PM

NH. When the 4 hits on the river, you can no longer beat any pair that he had on the flop, and if he has a Q or J he might check it through thinking you have a 4. There aren't many draws available on the board, so I wouldn't expect a busted draw, except maybe a Q-high or K-high straight drow.