Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-09-2005, 01:00 PM

Default Re: good or bad AK trips fold?

Hey man, you asked for advice, and most of us aren't weak-tight nut-peddlers. Sorry if that doesn't fit your style.
Old 09-09-2005, 01:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I mean u dont have to make risky plays at $50 NL, u just have to wait for the right moment and then take all the other guys money...

It might be weak but ill rather do that and win money than playing agressive and win some and loose some... cause it allways turns out red in my stats...

[/ QUOTE ]

this is a valid preference (it's not MY preference), but you will often get flamed for expressing it, so be warned. in the forum, most (perhaps "many" would be more accurate) people treat expected return as a stand-alone stat: i.e. if you take a line to reduce the variance in your bankroll at the expense of introducing lower expected returns, that is viewed as "weak-tight" or even "stupid".

having said all that, you really should commit some time to considering the long-term implications of hands like this one here. IMO, you are severely limiting your winnings by protecting against the downside in hands like this. there is just too much money to be won by playing three aces to the felt in a low-limit game.
Old 09-09-2005, 02:53 PM

Worst. Fold. Ever.
Old 09-09-2005, 02:56 PM

I have folded trips top kicker befoere but when I had a reason to (extremly passive calling station wakes up and check raises me , 2 other people in the pot going nuts etc.) but no when someone bets into me on the turn like that. He could have called with a nine o n the flop, 10 10 etc and when the second ace hit he figured his hand was good or he could make you fold a pp.
I also don't care what he says he had for 2 reasons-he could be lying and you wanna make the right move long term- if you called and he has ace 3 are you posting this?
Old 09-09-2005, 02:56 PM

Would I be wrong for just min raising the turn?
I don't want him to be able to get away from his weaker ace.
Then on the river I'll put him all in and he'll be really pot commited. If he's not a moron I see a weaker ace folding to an all in potentially.
Old 09-09-2005, 03:06 PM

This might be the worst fold I've ever seen.

He said he had pocket nines and put you on AK? He lied. He would not have blown you away this way.
Old 09-09-2005, 03:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes you would be wrong. He's not getting away from a weaker ace for any ammount of money. If you put him on non-boat Ax, push. He'll call, and love doing it.
Old 09-09-2005, 03:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]

After a discussion with him it turned out that he had pocket nines... He first told me he had AK, but then after some talking he said he had the nines, and that he thought that I had AK and that he didnt want me to catch the king, and if I call and not catch it I would be commited to the pot so he could easy go allin and I would call...
But who knows...

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure which is worse, you believing him or you folding the winner. Seriously though, if you find yourself in this instance again, call. An overwhelming majority of the time you will win this pot making this call +EV.
Old 09-09-2005, 03:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes you would be wrong. He's not getting away from a weaker ace for any ammount of money. If you put him on non-boat Ax, push. He'll call, and love doing it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why are you so sure the guy is dumb enough to go to the felt with a weak kicker? He doesnt have to be a retard. I'd prefer to get all the money here from both retards and non-retards alike.
Old 09-09-2005, 04:11 PM

I never said the opponent was dumb.

The opponent would be getting ~2.5:1 on a callin. I strongly suspect that he would be correct to call regardless of his kicker. Even if he would be wrong to callin with A2, it certianly would not be a retarded move.