Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2005, 01:56 AM

Default Re: Check/calling the flop then leading the turn unimproved

dick.
Old 11-04-2005, 01:56 AM

huh?
Old 11-04-2005, 02:15 AM

Yeah so I do this all the time if I check/call a draw on the flop against someone likely not to have anything. Basically. And then I do it with a monster when someone has something. But this is at 200/400NL, where people are more straightforward.
Old 11-04-2005, 02:21 AM

just saying theres more to NL than the exact odds

he does fine
Old 11-04-2005, 02:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Of course I do. I'm not an idiot. I meant that I can't figure out pot odds vs $ odds to get EV answers on the fly. Just can't do it. I know what my odds to draw are. If the pot is offering me about that and I feel I'll get paid when I hit then I'll call. If not I fold. I can't do equity equations and can't figure out how much $ I need to make this call +EV and all that like most of you other brainiacs can. Yah Kagame is right. I do play by feel alot. This whole post sounds awful but I'm tired and going to bed so I'm posting it anyway.

G'night.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, I wasn't trying to offend you. I don't do EV calculations on the spot either(mostly because I know many situations aren't close enough to warrant them). I was just surprised that you included pot and implied odds in the list of things you hadn't gotten to figuring out yet, as you equated with them when to use the stop and go. As for a stop and go, I think it's a perfectly reasonable line with hands of all strengths, and a good way to stop your opponent from checking behind when you want him to call or fold to your turn bet.
-James
Old 11-04-2005, 02:38 AM

Personally I like this line a lot with top pair, draws, sets and bluffs.
Old 11-04-2005, 02:50 AM

I do this pretty close to never. Same with when I improve. I tend to let the flow of the hand continue as it did on the previous street.
Old 11-04-2005, 03:13 AM

The problem with this is that then you end up letting your opponent check behind with draws and forcing yourself to check/raise your monsters or not build a pot until the river. It's often advantageous to bet out on the turn to protect against draws, to make sure money goes into the pot, to give your opponent a chance to raise without showing the strength of your hand, and for many other reasons. This is a good line. I don't know why a lot of you don't use it. For instance, I like this line in Bruiser's hand against GoG. I also like it in that hand with a set and with a flush.
Old 11-04-2005, 03:44 AM

I seem to use this move much more in heads up and three handed games. Hardly ever in full ring or 6 max. It seems to me that it is a specific play that you would put on a specific opponent and not somethinkg that is a part of your game plan against an "unknown".

One situation that might make sense is when you decide to slowplay a rainbow flop and the flush draw gets there on the turn.

Usually when this move is put on me, it is an extremely vulnerable hand like bottom two or TPWK or a small overpair.

On UB, I hardly ever saw it. On Party it happened often enough that I took notice.
Old 11-04-2005, 04:57 AM

I had a hand at 10/20 nl on stars which the villain did this play and it made me puke it was so effective. I have AQs, flop is 3 rags, 2 spades. I make it like 120 preflop or something, 2 callers. Checked to me, i pot, if he raising me i'm pushing since I think he can definately have TT etc.

If he calls, i'm going to go check check on turn and get a free card. So he calls my 300, other guy folds. On the turn he bets like 3/4 the pot into me when a rag fell. It's like, what can i do.. I spite call, and check fold blank river. I think if you have a good read, this is a very strong play.