Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-18-2005, 08:07 PM

Default Re: What is in your NL bag of tricks?

I actually find that continuation bets are extremely valuable in 6-max games at $25 or under. I agree that bluffing someone off of top pair or middle pair is impossible in small stakes-- just value bet. The semi-bluff, post-oak bluffs, etc, are pretty worthless.
Old 09-18-2005, 08:20 PM

I'd say continuation betting has a place in NL25 and NL50. From my experiences at this level I'd say that the main mistake made by players is being two conservative post flop most of the time then going nuts when they have TP or better. From my experiences of NL100 (just moved up) the balence seems to have tipped and the main mistake player make is being far too aggressive. Continuation betting seems pointless when people are check raising all in with 2nd pair.

Playing tight and chasing the right draws appear to be the best moves in SSNL. I've also had to write STOP BLUFFING YOU MORON of a piece of paper to stop myself making 'clever' moves against people who will just call.
Old 09-18-2005, 08:47 PM

I understand that most if not all moves aren't going to work in SSNL, but I am wondering what types of moves people are using at the higher levels where play becomes less robotic and more creative. I am greatly interested in the game, as are most people who inhabit these forums, and I just want to get a better understanding of the game, even though I will not be able to use these moves at my current level.
Old 09-18-2005, 08:47 PM

there's a little comment I'd like to make on continuation betting, about what I saw in other threads about this. People there said that they usually bet from half pot to potsize when making continuation bets, and they mentioned that you should make sure that you are betting an amount with which you are winning more than 50% of the continuation bets to make them worthwhile.

However, not everyone realizes that the pots you lose when continuation goes wrong are much bigger than those you take down. Say the pot is $20, and you bet half pot for continuation with your AK that missed or what not. That's a $10 bet. If you successfully push out your opponent, you take down a $20 pot. If you get called or raised, most likely you're beat and you're losing a $40 pot.

So to make continuation worthwhile, you must win over 66% of the time if you bet 1/2 pot, over 75% of the time if you bet pot and so on. So are they really worth the risk?
Old 09-18-2005, 08:59 PM

Look for the greatest hits archive post in MHSNL and look for a lot of older posts by Matt Flynn, turnipmonster, ML4L, cero z, el d and ray zee among others.
Old 09-18-2005, 09:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So are they really worth the risk?

[/ QUOTE ]

You're kidding me, right? I make as much money with continuation bets as anything. They don't get called at least 75 percent of the time.
Old 09-18-2005, 09:06 PM

Applying a way ahead or way behind line is another trick that players should learn.
Old 09-18-2005, 09:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Applying a way ahead or way behind line is another trick that players should learn.

[/ QUOTE ]

i forgot one: dont fastplay one pair
Old 09-18-2005, 10:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not familiar with the stop n go or blocking bets.

[/ QUOTE ]

Blocking bet-if you have a hand with good showdown value but the community is scary(for instance a 3rd flush card coming) you bet ~1/2 pot and fold to a raise.

Stop and go-feign weakness by check/calling the flop and/or turn then bet out the turn/river after you c/c. This move is actually used by alot of bad/readable players in SSNL and indicates the nuts(or close to) most of the time. Way overused at the low limits IMO.

yvesaints advice is perfect.
Old 09-18-2005, 10:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i forgot one: dont fastplay one pair

[/ QUOTE ]

If someone could explain this one, another player has a possibility of learning these concepts