Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-11-2005, 12:20 AM

Default Re: My Bustout Hand--Oh The Humanity!!

There is one last thing that I neglected to mention, and which I should have included in my response to Josh.

I have been accumulating my chips picking up blinds and antes. While this is all well and good, I have done so once with queens and once with aces already (yes, I was raising real hands AND rags, and picking up the blinds/antes enough to have increased my stack about 10K for the day).

to be perctly honest, I am courting a call here, perhaps moreso than I normally would gettng no value for my previous premium hands.

And while my somewhat smaller (not "tiny," btw) raise induced him to call, bear in mind that it induced him to make a BAD call, and that's the idea.

When I say "bad call," I man all things considered of course.
Old 07-11-2005, 01:11 AM

if you coulda somehow folded the k's faceup on the turn you mighta brought the room to a standstill!

not saying you[or anyone] could/should've folded, but villain ~did~, however oddly, play the hand like that's what he had....and you weren't getting the odds.... [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

sux man, I know. most times it comes 2h on turn, he check-calls your all in, then rivers a blank and you got a mountain.

not to pile on but AcQc was getting the right odds to take one off on the flop, although he calls anything w/QJc or AQc.
Old 07-11-2005, 01:56 AM

The day I can make the fold you desribe, I'll just quit altogether.

And one last word on my turn raise:

Here's the point: if he subtracts his Q outs and reduces his implied odds for the actual situation, I think it's at least a marginally bad call.

When you couple this with the fact that AcQc is only one of maybe ten possible hands that he'll have here, I still don't feel like there's any major malfunction.

Anyway, still steaming a bit. I mean, Jupiter and Mars had to fall into alignment for that guy to get my chips right there, and it just really sucks and boohoo waawaa.

Glad I got that out.
Old 07-11-2005, 02:17 AM

Default Re: My Bustout Hand--Oh The Humanity!! River

no, no, not saying you played it bad at all, you just were trying to win a bigger pot w/a a big hand rather than just push pre-flop, and it came down one of the few ways to bust you. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

But he was gambooling too; his "worst" play IMO was his initial raise UTG w/QJs.

Long as you're here, you didn't really discuss your river call in the OP so I'ssume you (understandably)insta-called.
Old 07-11-2005, 02:33 AM

don't give 5-1 immediate odds to someone preflop when re-raising preflop, even with position.

don't give someone 20-1 implied odds to someone preflop when re-raising preflop.

sucks the way the board fell and cost you your tourney, but you dug your own grave.

better luck next year.

*edit* i sucked my math up and thought you only raised 2200 more. still, too small.
Old 07-11-2005, 02:49 AM

Default Re: My Bustout Hand--Oh The Humanity!! River

The call was on the turn, and it was a no-brainer, as I was behind only ONE hand, and I have ten outs if I am behind. Truth is, when he pushes, I figure his most likely hands are TT, 99, 66, AA, or QJ. Based on the way the hand played out, I have to make QJ at best 50% , so I have a clear call.

And yes, you're right--his preflop raise is awful. If you MUST play this hand, go ahead and limp, for God's sake. Callinga 3200 chip raise was just compounding the mistake.
Old 07-11-2005, 03:05 AM

A couple of quick things:

CHECK YOUR MATH!!,

Don't be so liberal with the implied odds, and

If I just want him to fold preflop, what the hell do I need kings for? Remember, as I said, I have been picking up a lot of tiny pots with premium hands (and others).

Anyway, it's a double edged sword--I want a call from a hand that most often will never see the river, but then, well, maybe I didn't.

But that's poker, and everyone has a different approach. My approach at this point was that I wasn't going to get where I needed to get by not trying to squeeze some value out of my pocket kings here.

Anyway, I tried and I failed. I am only glad for the opportunity.

OK, that was a lie.
Old 07-11-2005, 03:12 AM

umm, i edited that i misread the raise a full ten minutes before you just posted, so cry somewhere else.

and i can understand you wanted value out of your kings, but i do not like how you played it. you did bust out, remember?

there is a difference between not raising 3xBB when folded to on the button with KK, and not putting in a sufficient re-raise in position against an UTG raise.

i would end with the obligatory "do you see why?", but it should be clearly visible from the rail.
Old 07-11-2005, 03:25 AM

Wow, you sound like a hostile person.

I wasn't trying to start an argument with you; I was just responding to your comments. I'm not sure where you got the idea that I was "crying."

it was apparent from your remarks that you didn't like the way I played the hand. That is your prerogative, of course.

With the general tenor of your post, I am sure you won't appreciate this observation, but I'll make it anyway:

I made a decision to be somewhat more aggressive than is my usual style. With the exception of absolutely evrything that could possibly go wrong going wrong, I do not believe it was a terrible decision (results notwithstanding).

pointing out that i'm on the rail now is dickish, by the way. It's just uncalled for.

Also, are you writing these posts from your laptop? What table are you at? Best of luck to you! Don't forget not to take any chances!!
Old 07-11-2005, 03:29 AM

if i had just busted from the main event after misplaying a hand and sitting on a decent stack, i would be bitter as well.

in fact i would probably be passed out from being piss drunk right about now.

but hey, good luck in the future!