Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2005, 11:25 AM

Default Re: Smart or dumb?

I'm not a huge fan of the preflop minraise or the half-pot bet to start, but I like the push over top of his minraise. I think I like it more than calling the minraise, to be honest. What do you do the 5/6 times you miss the turn? Check/fold I guess, but this is a pot you can win with aggression a lot of the time. A minraise in a basically unraised pot doesn't mean too much, especially over such a weak bet to start with. He will fold a large majority of the time, and if you call the minraise and then hit the turn, there's no guarantee he has a big enough hand to get stacked with.
Old 11-02-2005, 11:33 AM

generally, this is a pretty standard play...

the only reason not to pull this is if you believe your villain's minraise represents a very big hand (min top2) trying to suck you in (or induce the reraise)...

edit/ you would also just call the raise if villain was a loose fish who may look youup w/ KQish... FWIW, most fish in 5/10 online games need a v minimum of bottom set to call this or maybe a huge SFD.
Old 11-02-2005, 11:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Insanely stupid.

[/ QUOTE ]
keep it up.
idiot.
Old 11-02-2005, 02:42 PM

Yes, I'm an idiot for not liking a billion dollar overbet into a tiny pot without a hand.
Old 11-02-2005, 02:55 PM

I don't think its insanely stupid, but i dont think it's the right play, either. I think it screams OESD the way you played it PF, then on the flop. A little too agressive IMO. If it was the J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]10 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], well, yeah, that's the right play, but I dont think it is here.I like the lead bet, but I would just call the min raise. The exception IMO, is if you think you can get your opponent to lay down a hand like AQ, or an overpair at least one time out of 3.
Old 11-02-2005, 02:57 PM

It seems like half the posts I read these days start with - so I open raised from EP w JT. Nothing wrong with it, just interesting. You guys must really like JT - or you watch a lot of TV poker - I think the announcers always like this hand - especially VVP.
Old 11-02-2005, 03:07 PM

I think this is a terribly wrong play.

The pot isn't big enough to throw your entire stack in there.

If you are called, you are either extremely behind or your opponent has a better draw than you, possibly with some of your outs forfeited.

I don't see how anyone could say this is the right move.
Old 11-02-2005, 03:59 PM

I like it a lot better if it looks like this:

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $40</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP2 calls $40, MP3 calls $40, CO calls $40, Button calls $40, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls $30.

Flop: ($240) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $175</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises to $350</font>, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button folds, BB folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero pushes
Old 11-02-2005, 04:32 PM

Yeah, but then he has odds to call with Ax[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. I know the preflop and flop bet are kind of goofy, but the push works better the OP's way than yours. For all the people who are talking about how badly you're beaten if called: minraises can mean a lot of different things. He's going to fold much more often than he'll call.
Old 11-02-2005, 05:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, but then he has odds to call with Ax[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. I know the preflop and flop bet are kind of goofy, but the push works better the OP's way than yours.

[/ QUOTE ]

So he should misplay the hand up front on the off-chance his opponent min-raises him after flopping the nut flush draw?

I think the move works more often in his way than mine cause of the pot size. He also wins a much smaller pot his way than mine. In fact it's 2.4x smaller, so he's only got to get villain to fold 30% as often as villain folds his way for it to be break even.

- C -