Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-27-2004, 10:57 PM

Default Re: FINAL TABLE, another JJ hand.

A better question is what do you do with QQ here. Im assuming you HAVE to PLAY that.
Old 12-27-2004, 10:57 PM

Well, if someone has a medium pocket pair, up to JJ, they will most certainly fold to a raise and a reraise, where if you just call, they could come in cheaply and hit a set. Like I said, if a big hand wakes up after you and you have committed half of your stack, go with your hand, maybe you will be a coin flip.

If you just called with your JJ, and a big hand woke up after you, and reraised, you could fold, having only commited 20,000 chips, instead of 40 or 50K.
Old 12-27-2004, 11:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I never said to fold, if you raised to 40 or 50K and got reraised. At that point, you are commited to your hand. I made examples with reraising and being called by the UTG player, or just calling, and folding to a reraise.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is never correct logic.

If you're willing to commit all your chips to the pot if he reraises you, then your ONLY raise is an all-in. It is the only correct play.

Personally, given the hero's stack size (in relation to the size of the blinds/pot), I'm pushing. Either that, or raise to 40K and fold to a reraise.

-Scott
Old 12-27-2004, 11:46 PM

I don't think you can fold this, unless the big stack is so tight he would only min-raise UTG with AA-QQ.

That said, if he is truly playing tight, I might consider just calling here. That still leaves you with 9.5 BB if you have to fold the flop. There are also other players still to act behind you.

If you move in, I don't see you getting called by anything less than AK.

I think that with position, I would call and see a flop. I'm not happy about messing with the chip leader after he min-raises UTG. I'd proceed carefully.

I don't think a fold here is correct, unless he is playing ultra tight.

J.
Old 12-27-2004, 11:55 PM

FWIW,
I was in a very similar situation last week, the only difference being I had TT. I pushed and lost to the UTG big stack's KK.

I posted the hand and the consensus was - 1) call and push an undercard flop; or 2) push; but 3) you can't lay this down. UTG could be stealing with a wide range of hands.

Frankly I can't see folding. I'd push, but I'm pretty aggressive.

So what happened?
Old 12-28-2004, 12:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you're willing to commit all your chips to the pot if he reraises you, then your ONLY raise is an all-in. It is the only correct play.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you want to maximize your folding equity, a raise of half your stack looks scarier to a good player than an all in.

That said, I think I'd just call and see a flop here.
Old 12-28-2004, 12:47 AM

The problem here is that it's a final table, I see JJ, I think, I'm raising! Coldcalling sounds alright in theory but it's hard to pull it off in the heat of the moment.

Plus, I won't feel good about any flop that isn't raggedy. How great will I feel about folding if I coldcall and the flop comes Ace high? King high? Queen high? Can you really feel good about a fold to his bet? Not really, remember, this is Party.

It seems like there's no great option. But that makes sense b/c JJ is tough to play. Also, I'm playing to win, not move up the ladder.

Can anyone read his raise size? What hand could it be?
Old 12-28-2004, 01:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Can anyone read his raise size? What hand could it be?

[/ QUOTE ]

online these reads are always indiviual player dependant. mix in the fact that this is a $33 buy-in, the range of hands is really endless, ive seen it all at that level. by the way, i cant see folding here. for me its either reraising allin or calling and see flop. and most likely im reraising allin here.
Old 12-28-2004, 02:08 AM

I decided to move in and actually I didn't even think about it much. It was like a total reaction play.

He called quickly w/ AK and flopped an Ace. I was out in 7th and totally bummed out.
Old 12-28-2004, 02:16 AM

Since you demanded a response to this idea:

Miniraising back to your opponent is absolutely terrible. If you want a good reason why:

Try to come up with one good reason to miniraise your opponent.

Good.

citanul