Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2005, 02:34 PM

Default Re: Quick $500 Foxoods report

Finished in the 400-500 too I think. About 2K at 100/200/25 level, guy whos been playing a lot of pots open raises again 600 or 800, I'm happy to go all-in with my AK, he calls, I'm happier to see his AT and a final board of complete trash. OK now I've got a little breathing space.

Next hand, I'm late MP, average stack raises, shortish stack (2.5K) goes all-in. I look at JJ. Chit I hate JJ. Hmmm, what to do, what to do. All-in. Initial raiser thinks for awhile and finally folds. Phew. Shorty turns over AK. Flop is kind, Turn is not, an Ace for those who care. Bugger. River no help. Couple of hands latter I get to push all in with T9o and a 'Harrington M' of 3, (anyone think it's too early to worry about this yet?), get called by a large stack with pocket 7's. You jammy chit, superleeds. Flop has a 7. Business as usual superleeds. I started to grab my coat, etc and the turn gives me a gutshot. Someone shouts its not over yet and as I reply that I never go runner runner the dealer turns over a ......

.... deuce or something similar.

Oh well.
Old 11-03-2005, 02:43 PM

Default WARNING BAD BEATS INSIDE

** WARNING: Please do not read further if you are offended/annoyed by BAD BEAT STORIES **

now that you have been warned, here is my day, pasted from an email i sent to my buddies this morning:

a few hands of note for the main tourney. $565 buy-in, 1245 players, 1st prize is $164,500.

i built my 1500 up to about 2700 by the 1st break...mostly by hitting 2 pair with 79 from the big blind on a 3-diamond board and the ace of diamonds chasing me down all the way but not hitting his last diamond.

get back from first break, find QQ (for the 3rd time actually, won the 1st one pre-flop and folded the 2nd one to a big bet on AK7 flop). dude goes all-in for 700, i re-raise all-in, everyone else folds. he turns up A2, and the woman next to me (who turned out to be the defending champ, she won it for $85,000 last year) told me she folded an ace. doesn't matter - an ace comes on the river anyway.

table then breaks, i get moved...i don't play a single hand in 2 orbits at my new table, then that table breaks, get moved again. basically fold garbage for 2 straight orbits again and finally find 55. i limp, SB completes, BB checks. flop comes 882, SB goes all-in for about 800, BB folds. i've seen SB go all-in 4 or 5 times since i've sat down, and i'm sure he wouldn't do that with an 8 and i probably have him beat, so i call. he says "nice call," turns up K7, grabs his jacket, and catches a K on the river.

now i'm down to 800, blinds are 100-200. on my BB, i look at 1 card, it's a K, and i decided i'm not even looking at the other card, just pushing. someone actually puts me all-in, i call...he's got JJ...i turn up my cards and remarkably, i have AK. but alas, AK is no good, and ray's out somewhere around 600th place - woo.

so then i played a single-table satellite, $115 buy-in, $1000 for 1st. i was completely running the table over. we got down to 3, i had a big stack, and this girl had a slightly smaller big stack, and her friend was short stacked. so i offer up a deal, $400 for me and her, $200 for him. he turns it down. a little while later, nothing has changed, so i offer the same deal. she wants to do it cuz she has to use the bathroom real bad, he says no again. i double him up with a garbage hand when he goes all-in blind. then i find KK on the button and go all-in. he calls me with 22 and spikes a 2 on the flop, crippling me. i bust out the next hand and they chop, $500 each.

i went home far more pissed about the satellite than the main tourney.
Old 11-03-2005, 02:52 PM

One more thing. On one of the first hands, UTG threw in a $100 chip and the dealer said "call". Predictably, he argued that he intended to raise, and she of course told him it was just a call. Trying to be helpful, I explained the rule to him and said "it's called the one chip rule"...the dealer glares at me and says "no, it's called the two chips rule"...well, damn - who am I to argue? I just stopped talking.
Old 11-03-2005, 03:29 PM

are they running limit HE games above 20/40?
Old 11-03-2005, 03:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
One more thing. On one of the first hands, UTG threw in a $100 chip and the dealer said "call". Predictably, he argued that he intended to raise, and she of course told him it was just a call. Trying to be helpful, I explained the rule to him and said "it's called the one chip rule"...the dealer glares at me and says "no, it's called the two chips rule"...well, damn - who am I to argue? I just stopped talking.

[/ QUOTE ]

Again, dealers baaaaad.

Sorry to hear of your bad luck. I had a lot of the same - but not quite that bad.

There definitely was confusion upstairs - tables not starting the rounds on time b/c they couldn't hear the TD say "shuffle up...", floor not able to find someone who could - and I intentionally quote "make a ruling".
Old 11-03-2005, 03:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
are they running limit HE games above 20/40?

[/ QUOTE ]

I only went upstairs for a couple minutes to claim my free t-shirt, so I don't know...but you can always call the poker room and ask, 1-800-48-POKER.
Old 11-03-2005, 03:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Again, dealers baaaaad.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is not a new dealer either, I've played at her tables many times. She's just kind of a douche.
Old 11-03-2005, 04:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Terrible dealers, as the Blackjack dealers had to be summoned to deal in the tourney - so bad that the players had to tell the dealer what to do on almost every hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't believe how lucky I was in this regard this year. All my dealers were fine, altho obviously this is relative. And what about those new chips, sweet.
Old 11-03-2005, 04:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
And what about those new chips, sweet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not really a fan of ceramic chips, but they're okay I guess...the biggest problem with them was how similar the $25s and $100s look from the side - I had a $100 stuck in the middle of my $25 stack a few times.
Old 11-03-2005, 04:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the biggest problem with them was how similar the $25s and $100s look from the side

[/ QUOTE ]

I liked this because it made me slow down and be a bit methodical everytime I bet - kinda like a built in clock. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]