Old 11-15-2005, 04:28 AM

Default Re: Is alcohol the answer? If so, straighten me out OOT

solid advice so far from everyone who contributed, i'm learning a lot already

but sadly i have class in like 6 hours so it's off to bed
Old 11-15-2005, 04:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Stay away from your car for a while.

Eat something solid first, if you're going to booze much. Something that will stick in there for a while, like meat or cheese.

Also, drink water between drinks if you want to be able to drink a lot for a long time without getting sick. Water is by far the best.

[/ QUOTE ]

All key points.
Old 11-15-2005, 04:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Alcohol gives girls an excuse for doing what they really want to do anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's the first of today's slices of fried gold!
Old 11-15-2005, 04:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Have you had much success getting head/sex before college?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, but I should be more successful. I think it's due to the fact I've looking in the entirely wrong pool of women. I get way too intimidated by the average outgoing chick who's in a sorority and parties on weekends. Obviously I can't have my cake and eat it too.
Old 11-15-2005, 04:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
And just drinking isn't going to help you when, no offense, it sounds like you're trying too hard.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you blame me? I've got a bs phobia of alcohol, am intimimated by girls that drink and party, and only hook up with girls sober w/ something meaningful there but then they have something wrong with them and they dont go out and party. And nothing is happening.

I want so badly to fit in, bang normal chicks, have a good time. I plan on rushing in the spring.

I want to live the right college experience but with the way my life has panned out until now, I think I really gotta learn up or I could do something really stupid.
Old 11-15-2005, 04:41 AM

(WARNING: The following post contains little or nothing useful)

Well, before I go into my lengthy tirade about what to look for in your choice of poison, let me say this. If you think you're missing out on girls and fun because you don't drink, you're way off. While drinking can be fun, if you're not drinking and not having fun, it's not because you aren't drinking, but I digress.

Now I had my first drink when my best friend Rob stole a can of Red Dog from my neighbors garage. I was 11, he was 12 at the time and we drank it in my backyard behind a little wooden clubhouse my parents had built for me and my brother. I didn't know it then, but Red Dog was disgusting swill. What I DID know was that it made me feel a little lightheaded, kinda funny and pretty good. I experimented with alcohol a few other times in grade school, namely the time that I came home one Friday afternoon, made myself a scotch and soda, then promptly passed out while raking the leaves. There was also the time that I got caught drinking 40s with my friend Jose, but that's neither here nor there.

I really didn't drink again until my Junior year of High School. On the one hand, my best friend, who lived two houses down from me and was a junior in college, had houseparties every weekend he was home and, thankfully, I was always invited. On the other hand, I had my friend from school who used to come in hungover, nursing a rum and coke just to get through the day. These two friends of mine exposed me to the wonderful worlds of both social drinking and chronic alcoholism. Now, around this time, beer was my drink of choice, namely Yuengling when I could get my hands on it, but more often than not, some kind of swill like PBR or Busch Light. However, when we realized that beer took up a lot of space and we had to conceal it, my friends and I switched to mix drinks, primarily Rum and Coke since it was easy to make and smooth going down.

I should also mention that my senior year of high school was the first time I'd ever blacked out from drinking. I was at a party, when his girl I'd been hooking up with decided to hook up with this sleazy drug dealer. So I, being the responsible young adult that I was, decided to chug 3/4 of a bottle of blackberry schnapps and not be able to remember the next 6 hours.

Fast forward again to college. My drink of choice is once again beer because concealment isn't nearly as important as it was in high school. Granted, because of budgetary concerns I tend to drink whatevere is the cheapest swill I can get my hands on, but, IMHO, even bad beer so exceeds the taste of hard alcohol, that it is highly preferable. Girls, of course, would never agree. They can not stand beer and will only drink it in certain occassions (namely, at keg parties) when they have no other options. They usually get pretty well greased up before hand, though, on hard alcohol, of course.

I'm not really sure what the point of my little "History of PoBoy's drinking career" was, but let me say this. Alcohol is nothing to be afraid of. It's only a drink, and just go out and have a few.
Old 11-15-2005, 04:42 AM

i didnt read any responses but i know what you mean. I didnt drink till sophomore year becasue I dont like the idea of not remembering things I do. Since then i drink most weekends and occasionally weeknights, but not often. The key is just knowing your limit. YOu can still get pretty drunk and remember it.
Old 11-15-2005, 04:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Can you blame me? I've got a bs phobia of alcohol, am intimimated by girls that drink and party, and only hook up with girls sober w/ something meaningful there but then they have something wrong with them and they dont go out and party. And nothing is happening.

I want so badly to fit in, bang normal chicks, have a good time. I plan on rushing in the spring.

I want to live the right college experience but with the way my life has panned out until now, I think I really gotta learn up or I could do something really stupid.

[/ QUOTE ]

Believe me, I feel for you, but alcohol isn't going to solve any of this. A lot of people in college don't drink and have a great time. A lot of people in college drink and have a miserable time. They key is finding something you love doing and that makes you happy, and drinking certainly doesn't have to be it.
Old 11-15-2005, 04:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I want to live the right college experience...

[/ QUOTE ]

This is pretty much what I meant.

A) There is no "right" college experience.
B) Desperation is not going to make you seem less desperate.

Obviously you need to "try" to change, but it's not something you can do through sheer will, nor by just reading up on women. Like anything else, you need to start low and build experience and confidence. This does not necessarily mean low standards -- it means low expectations.

Trying to do it all at once will not end well. Start out just getting comfortable with drinking, if that's something you want to do. After a couple times doing that in moderation, you should feel comfortable with it. Then start approaching chicks you think are attractive with no intention of taking them home, or even asking for their number. Talk to them planning NOT to try and close.

Once you're comfortable with that, then you can go for numbers, one-nighters, whatever.
Old 11-15-2005, 04:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
average outgoing chick who's in a sorority and parties on weekends

[/ QUOTE ]

Stay FAR away from these girls.