Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-15-2005, 06:56 PM

Default Re: Why are chips so fun?

[ QUOTE ]
We spend hours with many people we would never willfully spend time with otherwise, and most of us can actually make more money online, so we must be playing live because of the chips, right? Why are they so much fun to stack and straighten and toss and shuffle and twirl and spray?

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, that is one of the reaons that I play live. I like playing with the interesting mix of characters that play live poker... even if I wouldn't want to invite them over to my home.

It was only a few sessions ago that I got to hear all about smugling cigarettes, money laundering, and why you shouldn't transport large sums of cash through Texas, for example.

Oh, and the live games are outrageously soft compared to online... and even if they are not as fast, I find I can play live about 5 times longer than I can play online. (My typical online session is 1.5-2 hours. My typical live session is about 10 hours.)
Old 08-15-2005, 07:06 PM

I've often had thoughts that in certain settings (large NL or PL tournaments, maybe) it would make sense to have all bets & raises entered and kept track of by some sort of computer system. You'd have a little keypad & screen at your seat, and you'd enter your amounts, and the pot size would be displayed on a central monitor for all to see. I'm a little surprised I've never heard it proposed.

I hope it never comes to that; chips are way too much fun.
Old 08-15-2005, 07:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yes, online is faster, you don' have to tip, etc. But the live games are SO much softer, I think it could be argued that playing them is more profitable.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is true even at lower limits as well. I play 2/4 or 3/6 online and 10/20 live, so basically with multitabling I play 10/20 online as well. However the players are so much worse live. My last session at the Taj it was frequently limped 6-8 ways preflop. I don't think I've ever seen that in a 3/6 game online.
Old 08-15-2005, 07:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've often had thoughts that in certain settings (large NL or PL tournaments, maybe) it would make sense to have all bets & raises entered and kept track of by some sort of computer system. You'd have a little keypad & screen at your seat, and you'd enter your amounts, and the pot size would be displayed on a central monitor for all to see. I'm a little surprised I've never heard it proposed.

I hope it never comes to that; chips are way too much fun.

[/ QUOTE ]
Actually, I have seen something very similar to this proposed some time in the last year. I'm sorry, but I can't remember where I saw it. I know it was discussed on 2+2, though.
Old 08-15-2005, 07:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is true even at lower limits as well. I play 2/4 or 3/6 online and 10/20 live, so basically with multitabling I play 10/20 online as well. However the players are so much worse live. My last session at the Taj it was frequently limped 6-8 ways preflop. I don't think I've ever seen that in a 3/6 game online.

[/ QUOTE ]

That explains my play as well. After spending some time Sat. night at two 10/20 Borgata tables that were tight (there one was 2+2er at the table and I saw others milling about the room), I went to a donkfest at the Taj.
Old 08-15-2005, 07:31 PM

They have a system in Florida where there is no dealer, you are using a computer for everything. The editor's note in the latest CardPlayer talks about the system.
Old 08-15-2005, 08:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
3. Cocktail waitresses are hot! (generally)

[/ QUOTE ]

Not in Wisconsin.
Old 08-15-2005, 08:34 PM

i think it's more than just chips. i'm not sure what it is, but it's something. i make more online easily, but i love live play.
Old 08-15-2005, 08:35 PM

The guy who invented poker was bright, but the guy who invented the chip was a genius.
Old 08-15-2005, 08:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Actually, that is one of the reaons that I play live. I like playing with the interesting mix of characters that play live poker... even if I wouldn't want to invite them over to my home.

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too. I love it.

I do like to talk at the table, and I meet a lot of very interesting people.