Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-02-2005, 09:29 AM

Default Re: Turning pro

I'm fairly new around here and to poker in general, so I don't mean to be an a**hole - but to posts like the original one in this thread which would be such an amazingly poor decision I can only hope it can't be a legitimate post, I would offer this advice...

It's experience you need. Get a bankroll wherever you can - - home equity loan - take a cash advance on a credit card - get a payday advance (even though you are without a job at the moment). Just get that money and sit down and play!!!
Old 03-02-2005, 09:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
im not an expert on locations or anything, but the borgata 10/20 is so easy you could learn how to beat it from scratch in 3 months and after a few months you could beat it for far more than 30k a year

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah what he said. Just give me a call before you come down, I'll step down a limit for this.

BTW, the 20-40 isnt much tougher.
Old 03-02-2005, 10:15 AM

I am going to assume you are serious and if that is the case I strongly recommend finding a job and forget poker.

Gambling and in particular poker takes years to consistently win at live. I see alot of the young internet players come to the tables with all their poker lingo and attire ( [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]) and frankly they are easy targets IMO. There are very few who can make transition.

I know the internet guys will flame me for saying that but its the truth and any good live player will tell you that.
Old 03-02-2005, 10:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Funny gimmicky accounts add spice to this online community. Especially if they are thinly disguised.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ni han. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 03-02-2005, 10:23 AM

I've always wanted to be an Architect. I have no training, suck with my hands, charts scare me and loud noises give me headaches.

Can anyone suggest a place to apply for a job? Nothing entry level please.
Old 03-02-2005, 10:25 AM

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 03-02-2005, 10:48 AM

1.) Start your own business(be prepared to put in 80-100 hours of work a week for 10 years or more)

2.) Get a job...any job. If there is no work where you live, move.
a.) While working said job, go to trade school.
b.) While working said job, attend college.
A.) The following fields pay very well and also are in very high demand. Please note that for most of these, you will have to continually update your education every few years for the rest of your working career.
-nursing
-physicians assistant
-computer/systems analyst or programmer
-electric or computer engineer
-auto mechanic, particularly on higher end luxury cars or electric and hybrid cars

Bottom line is, nothing comes easy. As others have pointed out, it takes years to become a winning ring game player. I will also point out that the top tournament players took a long time to get where they are. For instance, Daniel Negreanu is very candid about his early play in low limit games, and the lumps he has taken along the way. Likewise, most other successful late 20ish/early 30ish players you see on television actually started grinding early on at places like Commerce and Bicycle club in $3-6 and $6-12 Holdem games before gradually climbing up the ladder to where they are today.

And lest you think that there is an easy way to make a living, there is not. Everything in life requires work. How much you eventually obtain is dependant on how much work you are willing to put in.
Old 03-02-2005, 12:04 PM

OK, thanks for the advice - even the smart ass advice. I might have been a little ahead of myself, but I see these guys on TV who just started playing like 6 months ago winning a lot of coin. I figure I could do it too. Again, I'm not talking about getting rich right away.
Old 03-02-2005, 12:13 PM

If you're serious I would recommend:

1) Reading the strategy forums on here A LOT
2) Buy some 2+2 books. Hold'em Poker, Small Stakes Hold'em and Theory of Poker would be a good start.
3) Play online before you try out live games, in fact its probably easier to make a living playing low limit online poker than playing mid limits live.
Old 03-02-2005, 12:22 PM

In the past 12 years I have been playing poker, I have seen a lot of poor players get lucky and win some sizable amount of money in tournaments.

This does not mean that they are long term winners. Some are still broke and while you do not see them on television, they are constantly on the "tournament trail" begging for entries into satellites. In general, it sucks to be them. Others have simply disappeared from poker all together.