Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-2004, 10:27 PM

Default Re: HULA Overhaul

[ QUOTE ]
I like the idea of playing by draft order. This avoids situations such as stacking matches and having the worst player on a team throw the game to the best player on the opposite team.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like this idea as well.

As to the part about throwing matches, were there any obvious examples of this? I don't remember hearing about any thrown matches.
Old 12-05-2004, 11:00 PM

Scheduling matches before the season: Tried it in HULA I. Failed miserably.

Playing by draft order: Offered that as a suggestion in HULA I. Late-drafted players were upset that they wouldn't have a chance to play against "big-name" early picks.

Strict enforcement of time limit: For the most part, this is how things worked in both HULAs. However, in both seasons, some player(s) pushed the limits of this enforcement as matches became more critical, and we were forced to walk the fine line between discrediting our league by not enforcing time limit rules and discrediting our league by deciding critical matches on attendance instead of Heads-Up prowess. This, more than anything, is driving me to give up the leadership role in HULA.
Old 12-05-2004, 11:00 PM

Umm, I guess I missed it....what happened at the end of this season?
Old 12-05-2004, 11:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Scheduling matches before the season: Tried it in HULA I. Failed miserably.

[/ QUOTE ]

What were the reasons it failed?

[ QUOTE ]
Playing by draft order: Offered that as a suggestion in HULA I. Late-drafted players were upset that they wouldn't have a chance to play against "big-name" early picks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ummm....suck it up would have been my response to them. Think of it the way team tennis works in high school and college. #1 plays #1, #2 plays #2, and so forth. If you don't do it this way then you have to go the way of scheduling before the season by having each captain submit the lineups for their respective weeks ahead of time to avoid the junk that happened this year.

[ QUOTE ]
Strict enforcement of time limit: For the most part, this is how things worked in both HULAs. However, in both seasons, some player(s) pushed the limits of this enforcement as matches became more critical, and we were forced to walk the fine line between discrediting our league by not enforcing time limit rules and discrediting our league by deciding critical matches on attendance instead of Heads-Up prowess. This, more than anything, is driving me to give up the leadership role in HULA.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe I'm a little harsher thinking than others on this, but its my opinion that if you fail to meet the rules of the league by not playing your match on time, you should lose. Especially given the fact that there are subs in place that you can go to if you need to miss a match. In very extenuating circumstances an exception could be made. However, some people's reasons for missing matches or needing to play late were ridiculous, and those people should lose for that reason.
Old 12-06-2004, 01:42 AM

The subs idea was good at heart but very rarely did people tell their captains if they weren't going to be around or if their schedule made it tough to play a match and a sub was desired in their place... Basically, the subs only got used if someone knew they were going out of town ahead of time.
Old 12-06-2004, 01:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What were the reasons it failed?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because certain players were too lazy to check, and I was too lazy to stay on the ass of the 20-50 players who didn't have a time and date set to play the match 5 days into the week.

[ QUOTE ]
Ummm....suck it up would have been my response to them.

[/ QUOTE ]

That may work in subsequent HULA leagues, but quite frankly I wanted and needed bodies for HULA I, so I had to make some concessions. It also adds to the "learning experience" for later-drafted players, since they get to play the thinky-est of the thinking players occassionally.

[ QUOTE ]
its my opinion that if you fail to meet the rules of the league by not playing your match on time, you should lose.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah...I agree. The problem is that there is A LOT of gray area when it comes to this stuff. Player A can only play Thursday through Saturday, Player B can only play Monday through Wednesday. Player B PMs Player A, but Player A isn't at a computer until Thursday. PMs go back and forth, captains try to find subs at the last minute but can't get in by the deadline...who's fault is it? What constitutes extunating circumstances? What happens when neither player responds to PMs for a whole week without notice (it's happened)? Commissioners have to make a ton of judgment calls that border on completely arbitrary.

In regards to the finale of this season, where Bisonbison refused to play the deciding match of the HULA finals for two full weeks...It was too hard for me to sit there and have my pride and joy, my own little claim to fame, my own little league have it's champion decided by an official. I think I can speak for Rugbyrat and Sheriff Fatman in that they more or less felt the same way. It wouldn't be easy to sell a league to the members of 2+2 if it was well-known that the previous champ was decided by a forfeit. Furthermore, it would be even harder to tell Johnny Q Teammate, who's $50 investment resembled a good chunk of his .50/1 bankroll, that he was not getting his first-place money because the normally mild-mannered Bisonbison decided to ignore daryn for a week. Whether consciously or not, Bison had leverage in this situation and he decided to use it.

When it comes right down to it, Matt, I think the thing that can solve a number of these problems are either more enthusiastic captains or substantially higher penalties for non-participation, which is why this entire league needs a complete overhaul before HULA III.

Doug
Old 12-06-2004, 04:44 AM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In risposta di:</font><hr />
Like Daryn, I like the team concept as well. However, we could possibly do the team thing and also have the players with the top records have a playoff for an individual champion at the end of the season.

[/ QUOTE ]

nice idea, sounds like a good combo.
Old 12-06-2004, 04:48 AM

i also agree that the finals shouldn't have been decided by anything other than a match. i can understand about the regular season stuff. i actually appreciate that you rule with an iron fist, i think it's the only way. i did want to be undefeated though [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 12-06-2004, 05:24 AM

I'd personally love to see HULA 3 happen since I missed this one and wasn't around for the first one. I don't have the time to run this thing but if anyone does I'll be your bestest friend forever.
Old 12-06-2004, 07:35 AM

I'll help run it but the draft system must remain IMO.