Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-16-2005, 03:35 PM

Default Re: Going back from 6max to full

yesterday i tried to play some full because SH is beginning to drag. to compensate for the slower play i played 10 tables. too bad even 10 tables of full is like watching paint dry.
Old 10-16-2005, 03:51 PM

the only time i play omaha online i play 6-max but when i play lhe i play full ring. i don't feel comfortable reversing them for some reason.
Old 10-16-2005, 04:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm trying to play full games again

[/ QUOTE ]
Why?
Old 10-17-2005, 05:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm trying to play full games again

[/ QUOTE ]
Why?

[/ QUOTE ]I figure there might be a time where I might have to play in a full game.
Old 10-17-2005, 06:06 AM

Online full is for people who are afraid to play any hand worse than 99(Or so it seems at most sites these days). I love full players when a table goes to short, its fold, fold oh my god he raised under the gun leave the table............ [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Old 10-17-2005, 07:08 AM

Poker is about playing profitable games.

The SH turnips would have you believe there are no profitable full games. They are wearing blinkers. If you cannot beat BOTH games for a good clip, then your game is incomplete.

Your SH experience will make you a much stronger player in full games. Once you have re-established your full credentials your SH game will ALSO be stronger.

Much advice on the SH forum is for LAGtards who do not bother reading opponents and vary their play accordingly. Certainly you can get away with non-reading a lot more in SH games, and certainly it is easier to quickly classify players SH but that does not mean the advice in HUSH is always correct; frequently it is applicable only to specific game-types (and most do not know what the difference means). SH games vary A LOT, some would have you believe otherwise. Some would have you believe 30/20 is optimum for everyone and every game.

In full games I would suggest you think on these notions:
(1) Respect raises more, unless you have a specific read.
(2) Turn CR are much more likely to mean the business.
(3) 3-bet with caution when holding less than the nuts.
(4) TP is frequently not good enough to a Turn/River raise.
(5) Steal those blinds.
(6) AQ is not a big hand to a PF 3-bet.
(7) Be willing to fold a LOT of hands (post-Flop) you would normally want to SD in SH games.
(8) Make sure you are fully aware of the odds - take into account some unlikely hands/draws against you. This is a very important area and deserves close attention/revisiting.
(9) Games are MUCH better when you have position on the worst players.

Nothing else really stands out - table selection etc.
Old 10-17-2005, 07:39 AM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

[ QUOTE ]
I feel more than comfortable playing short at higher limit games, it's sitting at those little 6-man tables with hyper-aggressive retards that makes me start playing like a moron.

[/ QUOTE ]

actually, the 1/2 short games are more aggressive than the 50/100 short games, which are more aggro than the 30, which are more aggro than the 20, whcih are more aggro than the 15, etc. so it's not a matter of 6-max

you really ought to try playing short more often. I definitely think it's critical for your development. I hadn't played much 6-max when I started playing 15/30 in January and couldn't handle it. I played a lot of 6-max and posted probably like 4k posts in HUSH and it helps a ton in the full games.
Old 10-17-2005, 07:43 AM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

at 15/30 and up the full games play more like short games and less adjustments are necessary. if you're playing 5/10 or 10/20 full then it's going to be harder to adjust. when I started playing full tables I had to learn and I just 8 tabled 3/6 a few times for an hour and practiced being weak tight. it helped.
Old 10-17-2005, 10:21 AM

I think there's good in some of what you said but:

[ QUOTE ]
(3) 3-bet with caution when holding less than the nuts.

[/ QUOTE ]

Eh.

[ QUOTE ]
(6) AQ is not a big hand to a PF 3-bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the understatement of the day. I'm not sure whether you should say that AQ is not a big hand against a raise (which isn't great) or AQ is complete and utter garbage to a 3-bet (which is prob closer).
Old 10-17-2005, 11:04 AM

I don't play much 6-max, but I do frequently play shorthanded full tables.

My advice is just to be aware of your opponents. Things like this:

If you are in the BB with a fairly marginal hand and a 17/5/1 guy with maybe a 26-30% ASB raises from the cutoff, I strongly consider folding even if that hand would be something that I definetly would play against a more aggressive player even a hand like A5o or Q7s something like that or a little better. Reason being, is the guy raising from the CO has not read Natethagrate's posts on blindstealing/blind defense, and really is not interested in playing more hands. He is playing his cards, and they are probably pretty good. Along with the fact this player probably will not spew chips after the flop... a lot of your thin to neutral EV hands, cross the line to negative at that point.

Change that player to a 19/15/2 and it becomes different.

So my advice would be this, for your first few sessions, don't try to be "weak tight" or start thinking you have to play all different in a full game. Just be more concious of your opponents, take a second and digest their stats and ask yourself what they are probably doing. Focus on thinking conceptually instead of cookie cutter 6-max vs. full ring dogma.

As an aside, I only have about 9,000-10,000 hands of true 6-max between 5/10 and 10/20. I have not checked lately but I think about 20% of my games at 5/10 full have been played short, so call it 25,000 hands most played in the last 3-months. I don't think you necessarily need to play 6-max to get your SH experience. I really think it depends how you approach the games. A lot of people seem to have the thought process that they will play one cookie cutter methode when the game is 6 or less and another when it is 7 or more.

Kind of goes back to the PF starting chart thing, the sooner you think conceptually and about how certain concepts apply to your specific situation, the easier the gear shifting becomes.