Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2005, 05:31 AM

Default Re: 1/7.75?

I use the same line as you Jeff. Villian could be coldcalling with ATo/Axs/Any 2 Broadways, so there's plenty of hands you are ahead of. Once Villian bluffs with those hands on the turn, he's almost always committed to fire again on this river card. While it may be close, I like your river call.
Old 09-26-2005, 05:35 AM

I think the top candidates for his hand are a pocket pair and high cards. Sizeable pocket pair and high cards that beat us would have 3-bet. I think the board is unlikely to have made him a one pair hand or a straight. I would have expected an aggressive player to raise with a pocket pair or a club draw on the flop. So I would say his most likely holding that beat us is a small pocket pair (whether it made a set or not) that he was planning on waiting until the turn to raise. I think we beat practically all of his non-pocket pair hands unless he cold called with Axs or a low suited connector type hand.

I think you are easily good 1 in 7.75 and I call.

Cartman
Old 09-26-2005, 07:49 AM

I fold the turn.

If he bets everytime you check here then check/raise sometimes. Otherwise I'd give him credit.
Old 09-26-2005, 08:40 AM

I see what you're trying to do, but I still think betting the turn is better, although it's close given the small pot size. If he calls then you can check/call the river. If he raises then fold.
Old 09-26-2005, 09:31 AM

If he's loose and aggressive, your flop bet then turn check will often induce a turn and river bluff.
Old 09-26-2005, 09:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If he bets everytime you check here then check/raise sometimes. Otherwise I'd give him credit.

[/ QUOTE ]

If the player is loose and aggressive and likes to bluff, why not let him bluff his money away? Check/raising the turn lets him fold his weaker hands and pound you with his stronger hands. Check/calling the turn and river lets him bet a wide range of hands that ace high often beat.
Old 09-26-2005, 09:44 AM

Check/raising the turn with your decent hands allows you to gain bets when he would have otherwise folded because a lot of players bet when you show weakness.

It also stops them from betting when you have shown weakness.

If a player fears that you will check/raise this turn sometimes they wont automatically bet as a bluff.

In this situation I do not like the flop it is much too drawy with low cards too likely he'd have hit.

I'd prefer to fold unless opponent is a big bluffer.
Old 09-26-2005, 09:49 AM

Why do you want to stop bluffs against a loose and aggressive opponent? You should encourage them. You want loose, aggressive opponents to bluff too much and passive opponents to never bluff.

"Check/raising the turn with your decent hands allows you to gain bets when he would have otherwise folded because a lot of players bet when you show weakness."

He would have folded had you bet, but had you checked, he will bet the turn and river as a bluff quite often.