Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Texas Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-03-2005, 12:10 AM

Default Re: At what stake level do players think more

[ QUOTE ]
Medium Rare.

You should always be concerned about whether or not people in your game are thinking well. There is no absolute $ correlation.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree totally about no "absolute $ correlation." But, in my experience, I've found the better players at the higher limit tables. It ($) tends to keep players of lesser ability away.

Yes, some donks don't care if they lose at 4/8 or 100/200 NL. I've known guys who thought nothing of betting $500 on a 30" putt. My pucker factor don't let me get to that level.

[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-03-2005, 01:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I've known guys who thought nothing of betting $500 on a 30" putt. My pucker factor don't let me get to that level.

[/ QUOTE ]

Doyle Brunson, $180k on a hole in golf... Must be nice to have money to burn!
Old 10-03-2005, 02:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I've found the better players at the higher limit tables. It ($) tends to keep players of lesser ability away.

[/ QUOTE ]

One of the reasons I posted this topic was because I started playing "seriously" for cash only a couple of weeks ago and was wondering how long I should wait before moving up. I went from the smallest cash tables to the $1/$2 tables in that two week span, and the only major difference that I personally found was my fear of the other players at those higher limit tables, expecting the worst, and the fear I had of someone better than me exposing leaks I hadn't fixed yet. Once I got settled in at each new stake level, it was like playing the $0.05/$0.10 game again (in a way).

In the past few days alone, I have fixed several fairly serious leaks. I sought the answers because I noticed there was a problem, and I sought the cause. Seek, and when you identify the leak itself (not the result of the leak), you can stop the leak.

I was suprised to hear how many people here say that most players don't think this much, even at some of the higher levels, but I guess that is a good thing for us. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-03-2005, 02:21 AM

One of the things I am gleaning from the replies in this thread is that I only need a few things to attempt a move up to the next level.

1) The bankroll to support the move up

2) The guts to put that bankroll out there

3) The ability to spot stronger players and be able to stay out of their way (or use game theory & any overconfidence they might have against them - but then, they wouldn't really be superior players if I could do that consistently, would they...)

4) The ability to spot weaker players and play on any advantage I have

The only caveat is that at the higher levels I will pay more for the leaks I have not yet plugged.

Sound about right?
Old 10-03-2005, 08:26 AM

AJ, the advice you have received so far is sound - take it for what it is...literally. You will find it almost impossible to be a winning player at higher levels without thousands of hands of experience to store in the memory bank for when to push, when to fold, when to trap and when to call for value. 30,000-50,000 hands between levels are nice round numbers. If your bankroll is replenishible then play the higher levels to learn more faster but get to know the "Deposit" button real well in the meantime.
Old 10-03-2005, 11:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]

2) The guts to put that bankroll out there

[/ QUOTE ]

This, my friend, was the rosetta stone, for me. When I learned how to "go about my bidnezz" at the table (and on the golf course), not worrying about the money, things just went so much better.

Today, when I gamble, I know exactly how much I'm putting into play/at risk. I know it's quite possible I'll lose it. My attitude is that I won't lose it. That I'll leave with more than I started with. But I know it don't always work that way. Duh, see the dictionary for "gambling."

Playing with "No Fear" doesn't make me wreckless or bullet proof. It just lets me do what I know needs to be done.

Old 10-04-2005, 12:28 AM

Concerning spotting the thinking players -
Build your pokertracker database and use a heads up display (HUD) to display the stats of your opponents. The VPIP% and PFR% should be the first numbers to converge in a meaningful way and will offer some hints as to how seriously your opponents are taking their strategy.
Old 10-06-2005, 11:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Concerning spotting the thinking players -
Build your pokertracker database and use a heads up display (HUD) to display the stats of your opponents. The VPIP% and PFR% should be the first numbers to converge in a meaningful way and will offer some hints as to how seriously your opponents are taking their strategy.

[/ QUOTE ]

First step is to register PT (some time in the next few days!) Next step is to learn to interpret all the data (like I don't already have enough reading to do!) [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

If you install it, it will come.