Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-09-2005, 09:19 PM

Default Re: Flopped a str8, Check folding it. Ok ?

I think we all agree that UTG has a heart. And, considering the pre-flop raise in early position, I'd nearly guarentee it's the Ace. Someone with an A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] looking at a K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 10 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] flop just won't go away. That said, unless he has an offsuit jack (or worse, a suited jack), you're the favorite to split at worst, win in liklihood, so I bet-call until I see proof I'm beat. On that turn, there isn't much that's likely that doesn't beat you. Check-fold.

Of course, that all assumes that UTG isn't super good at reading others, and has an offsuit ace. Then, if he's playing us like a fiddle, we've made the wrong move. In all liklihood, though, UTG played it right, but we played it better.
Old 07-09-2005, 09:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think we all agree that UTG has a heart. And, considering the pre-flop raise in early position, I'd nearly guarentee it's the Ace.

[/ QUOTE ]

How do we know he has a heart? Are you talking about his turn bet? Our problem is on the turn, before we act, so we know nothing.

Hero has to bet this turn.

If raised, easy fold. If called, check/fold the river, although I'm not sure if it's that easy.
Old 07-09-2005, 10:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think we all agree that UTG has a heart. And, considering the pre-flop raise in early position, I'd nearly guarentee it's the Ace.

[/ QUOTE ]

Come on now, Hero is practically begging him to bet this turn with anything. I bet/fold turn. If he calls, check/fold river. He'll be scared of a small heart on the river if you bet the turn so there's not much chance for a bluff or a bet without the heart.
Old 07-09-2005, 10:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think we all agree that UTG has a heart. And, considering the pre-flop raise in early position, I'd nearly guarentee it's the Ace. Someone with an A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] looking at a K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 10 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] flop just won't go away. That said, unless he has an offsuit jack (or worse, a suited jack), you're the favorite to split at worst, win in liklihood, so I bet-call until I see proof I'm beat. On that turn, there isn't much that's likely that doesn't beat you. Check-fold.

Of course, that all assumes that UTG isn't super good at reading others, and has an offsuit ace. Then, if he's playing us like a fiddle, we've made the wrong move. In all liklihood, though, UTG played it right, but we played it better.

[/ QUOTE ]

If UTG had the Ah he would have raised this flop. I think the odds are more likely that UTG doesnt have a heart, since if hes decent most of the cards in his raising range from UTG are already on the board, and they are all the hearts.

Bet the turn, cuz like others have said you are basically just saying "Hi, I dont have a heart, please bluff at me"

I bet the turn, and fold to a raise. If I got raised on a blank turn, I call down.

If UTG is desent, I tend to fold PF....too tight?
Old 07-09-2005, 10:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Bet the turn, cuz like others have said you are basically just saying "Hi, I dont have a heart, please bluff at me"

[/ QUOTE ] What, you don't want people to bluff into you? what's wrong with check-calling down?
Old 07-09-2005, 10:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] What, you don't want people to bluff into you? what's wrong with check-calling down?

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought u were advocating check/fold the turn. sorry

anyway, checking the turn is still bad because you risk the free card
Old 07-09-2005, 10:59 PM

if you bet and get called, do you check-fold the river? I mean, I don't think we have to worry about giving free cards at this point.
Old 07-09-2005, 11:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I just joined this table. But I shouldn't be good here quite often with the brick on the turn.. Ok to check/fold it ?

Party Poker 10/20 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, MP calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls, BB calls.

Flop: (8 SB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB folds, UTG calls, MP folds.

Turn: (5 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 6 BB

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't like the preflop cold call to begin with, you'll find yourself in a lot of trouble if you do that consistently. Secondly, if i were to bet the flop out and check the turn, i would definitely call down any turn bet because you easily could've induced a bluff or already have him beat.
Old 07-09-2005, 11:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
if you bet and get called, do you check-fold the river? I mean, I don't think we have to worry about giving free cards at this point.

[/ QUOTE ]

giving a free card is still bad because if he doesnt have a heart he can river a flush for the split pot. He also could be holding an A or a J and river a straight for the split. There are also some FH combos he could potentially river.

If I get called on a heart turn, the river is a little tougher and I use a read if I have one. I prolly just go ahead and bet tho. I obviously check/call another heart on the river