Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-10-2005, 10:54 PM

Default Re: Dutch Boyd is extremely intelligent. I may back him..........

You really should do your homework before you post something like this. Poke around in the archives for awhile, there's plenty there to show you why so many of us think this guy is scum. If after reading up you still think he's not, that's fine but at least be informed.
Old 01-11-2005, 01:02 AM

The funny thing is that I did my homework--or at least tried to. I heard about the infamous Dutch Boyd and how he robbed old ladies in the dark of night, absconding with funds for cancer victims, etc... I wanted to find out what all the hullabaloo was, but a quick search through the archives turned up only vague accusations of stealing money and a reference to eating babies.. of course with the advice to search the archives for details.

So I went further back into the archives. There I found accusations of stealing money and some alleged ties to the 911 bombings but you had to search the archives for further details. Searching further back into uncovered photocopies of Phil Hellmuth's diary, indicating that Dutch Boyd was his love child, and of course accusations of stealing money but I couldn't find any hard facts, so I gave up.

I'm well aware that the poker site that he was at least part owner of went under. I'm not aware of any outright theft on his part. There were a couple of threads last month from people contemplating bankruptcy that were met with overall sympathy and some solid advice. One person was even told specifically NOT to partially pay back certain debts if he was filing.

Dutch and his "crew" seem pretty immature, but even if the TV portrayals are accurate it doesn't explain the piling on that I've seen here. I keep thinking, "Poker Spot wasn't that popular--thus the bankruptcy. Everyone on this site that hates this guy can't be owed money by him." Then again, most web forums quickly develop a core group of vocal and prolific posters who try to set public opinion, and a much larger group of people who follow along like lemmings.

Now as to my original question. I asked who backed him (in a tournament) and was subsequently stiffed by him. If you have any knowledge of that I'd be interested... that or any juicy stories of him selling his grandmother for a buy-in. [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]
Old 01-10-2005, 01:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He is willing to do a contract (he is a lawyer!)
and if he was to dishonor it, he's smart enough to
know he would never get another percentage backer.
I honestly think he's good for it.

[/ QUOTE ]

A contract would probably put you in a better position that the people who lost money through Pokerspot. If you do this though, I'd strongly recommend having your own lawyer review the contract before agreeing to it. This isn't meant to express an opinion about Boyd or the deal offered one way or the other; it's just the smart thing to do when you enter into any contract.
Old 01-10-2005, 02:38 PM

The real question to ask before entering into a contact is; In the worst case scenario, is the other party collectable? If you backed him and He didn't pay, does He own anything that you can place a lein against? Can you collect your money?
Old 01-10-2005, 11:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The real question to ask before entering into a contact is; In the worst case scenario, is the other party collectable? If you backed him and He didn't pay, does He own anything that you can place a lein against? Can you collect your money?

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's a question I have...

I just got done watching a program on The Travel Channel about Las Vegas and they were going over a poll they had. One of the questions was if a friend has you place a bet for them while you're in Vegas and you win, would you keep it or be honest and give it to your friend.

Something that surprised me was they said that the person physically placing the bet is the person responsibility to collect the winnings and pay taxes on it. Therefore, even though the bet might have been backed by someone else, since you placed the bet, the winnings are all yours and the other person has no claim to it.

That might be only a Nevada thing, but contracts can't violate the law. So even if a contract was written up, there would still be no legal action you could take if he didn't pay up. Is my logic of thinking correct here?
Old 01-10-2005, 11:15 PM

Your contract would simply say that once he legally collects the winnings, he is to transfer 50% of the amount he won to you, from his personal funds. Pretty easily drawn up.
Old 01-10-2005, 02:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He is willing to do a contract (he is a lawyer!)
and if he was to dishonor it, he's smart enough to
know he would never get another percentage backer.
I honestly think he's good for it.

[/ QUOTE ]

The fact that he has to ask on Ebay shows you he is not good for it.

There are plenty of people in the poker community who would back an honest and good player.
Old 01-10-2005, 09:35 AM

i'm not quite sure why you have posted this

i can think of a few reasons, but none of them are good, unfortunately

if you really wanted to back someone in a big tournament you could easily find dozens of people to take your money (in the nicest possible sense) that would give you better odds on getting a return on your investment
Old 01-10-2005, 10:12 AM

I was thinking the same thing, Mike, the poster could be a shill for Boyd.
Old 01-10-2005, 01:40 PM

Damn..........