Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2005, 12:07 PM

Default Re: Weakest Players? .25/.50?

[ QUOTE ]
I've lost huge pots when I pushed the turns with trips only to be rivered by the nut flush draw who didn't have any pot odds at all to go all in.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would push trips on turn 100 times per day if I could and would be glad to be called with any draw.
Old 09-07-2005, 12:13 PM

I'd have to say the $10/20 6-max players are the weakest, very loose.
Old 09-07-2005, 12:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So you guys are happy with a bunch of people calling 5x the big blind raises with K 8 and A 3 when you have QQ and JJ. I make a continuation bet and then I get re-raised 4 dollars and, looking at 2 overcards, have to lay down.

[/ QUOTE ]
you have to work on your game. From what I've read you seem extremely predictable and your opponents are probably picking up on that.
Old 09-07-2005, 12:22 PM

First, you're being stupid. Shut up.

Second, it can be frustrating to play against loose, wild players. Your win rate will be higher in the long run, but with that comes a higher variance. Poker is not about winning pots. It's about winning money. You will win fewer pots with QQ when you raise and get five callers than if you raise and get one caller, but you will win more money over the same number of hands with five callers as long as you play enough hands to let the fluctuations die off.

Try this. Get two big stacks of poker chips, a coin, and a die. One stack is the house and the other is yours. First, flip the coin 500 times. for every head, you win 11 from the house. For every tail, the house wins 10 from you. Keep track of your stack along the way. Second, roll the die 500 times. For every 1-5, the house wins 10 from you. For every 6, you win 90 from the house. Keep track. See?

SlimP
Old 09-07-2005, 12:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So you guys are happy with a bunch of people calling 5x the big blind raises with K 8 and A 3 when you have QQ and JJ.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm fairly pissed when I get 2:1 on my money for a bet I win 45% of the time.

Smooth Jimmy Apollo: "Well folks, when you're right fifty-two percent of the time, you're wrong forty-eight percent of the time."

Homer Simpson: "Oh... why didn't he say that?"
Old 09-07-2005, 12:49 PM

<font color="white">BadAdviceGuy seems to be AWOL, so I'll give the obvious answer.</font>

Go play the $600 NL tables. The players should be better there and you won't have as many suckouts.
Old 09-07-2005, 01:13 PM

Location: Castle Duckula -- home for many centuries to a dreadful dynasty of vicious vampire ducks: The Counts of Duckula!

[ QUOTE ]
So you guys are happy with a bunch of people calling 5x the big blind raises with K 8 and A 3 when you have QQ and JJ. I make a continuation bet and then I get re-raised 4 dollars and, looking at 2 overcards, have to lay down.

I prefer better players to play with, yes. I've lost huge pots when I pushed the turns with trips only to be rivered by the nut flush draw who didn't have any pot odds at all to go all in.

[/ QUOTE ]

Variance is a b!tch, isn't it? Look, what everyone is trying to tell you is that yes, these games are like a roller coaster, but if you play solidly, you'll be a net winner overall. The times that you scoop a huge pot against these guys calling without proper odds will eventually more than make up for the times that you get rivered by those 1- and 2-outers. You just need to keep your cool, play within your bankroll, and be prepared for some ups and downs.

I heard an anecdote, back when I was training to be a real-estate agent (I discovered that I wasn't cut out to be a salesman, and gave it up). A salesman doing cold-calls would sincerely thank each person who declined to buy his product. When asked why, he responded, "Well, I have to get through 19 refusals before 1 person buys what I'm selling, so each refusal brings me that much closer to payday." That's the attitude you have to cultivate. The bad beats are part of the territory; you need to learn that they represent an opportunity instead of letting yourself get frustrated.

-Mike
Old 09-07-2005, 01:19 PM

simply put, i would perfer to get sucked out on than be out played. moving up will cause the later to happen.
Old 09-07-2005, 01:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I prefer better players to play with, yes. I've lost huge pots when I pushed the turns with trips only to be rivered by the nut flush draw who didn't have any pot odds at all to go all in.

[/ QUOTE ]

Um...if you dont realize why people calling these hands is great for you...

Yeah you're right, play against better players. They'll make you a killing.

Jump it up to 2/4NL
Old 09-07-2005, 01:35 PM

I have worked my way up through the $25NL and $50NL levels on Pokerstars. I currently play the $100NL with dreams of moving up to $200NL. I can say there is no discernible difference in play at the $25 and $50 levels. You are experiencing variance. Based on your bankroll you should be playing the $25 buy-in until you get 30 or more buy-ins or about $1,500, that is, if you want to protect your roll from swings.

FWIW, the $100 level is only slightly more difficult than the $50 level, but is still, for the most part, an aquarium.