Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-31-2005, 09:01 PM

Default Re: Perhaps another example?

I wasnt just being sklansky like brief...late here [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

In the bigger games, players are more likely to play wrapped hands more aggressively, so although you have position, they have the better hand AND you are in danger of overplaying the situation. I guess, say Foe limps with 6789 ss and u raise on the button with 9763. There are now lots of flops where he will probably check raise you and you will think you have many more outs than you actually have.

From 5-10 and up, some players will reraise with these kind of hands. So the problem becomes worse.

COngrats on the win rate...I'm wondering at what point we can have a definative view. I know the holdem guys say 200k plus. I'm wondering if that figure is even bigger in PLO? I know some of mine are all over the place.

gl

Dave D

Poker Blog! Omaha Galore!
Old 08-31-2005, 09:28 PM

Default Re: Perhaps another example?

Ah ok that makes sense.

A lot of times when I make that play at the 100's and down at least one person will type "Whoa did you realize he raised with that preflop???"

I can see how if you're not the only person at the table making plays like this than your situation completely changes.

-Matt
Old 09-01-2005, 03:04 PM

Default Re: Why position is the MOST important factor at PLO?

hi gotOUts,

Position is important in PLO omaha for a variety of reasons. I equate calling large raises from out of position with cold calling raises pre-flop in limit hold'em(it should be done from time to time if the situation is right but people do it far too much). Playing out of position can turn many hands that would be a statistical favorite if you were all-in before the flop into playing losers against good agressive opponents with position.

It's very hard to take someone's stack when they act after you. Say you are in early position against a late position player. They will more or less outplay you if they correctly assess your style through semi-bluffing, value betting, or folding to your bets that don't give them the proper odds.

There are some flops with certain players that you just "know" they wouldn't check if they had a big hand. Therefore you can bluff at will if you have position and they show weakness.

When you flop a big hand you usually will make more money in late position than early position. This is because people will bet out with more mediocre hands and you will at least win those bets if you choose to raise. If the situation were reversed and you had their position amd bet before they act they might fold(this can be countered by semi-bluffing).

As Aces mentioned drawing is much better with position so I won't comment on that. Hope these ideas help.

Later,
LA_Price