Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-28-2005, 03:16 PM

Default Re: How to read someone who always pre-flops raises?

I like to put a guy like this to the test at least once. If I can isolate him after the flop, I will bluff raise him. If I have ace-high, I may decide to call him down at least once in a limit game, middle or bottom pair in a no limit game if it is relatively cheap.
Old 05-28-2005, 07:34 PM

Ideally, you want this player to your immediate left or right. I think most players prefer a player like that to their right, but I prefer to my immediate left.

If you can isolate this player, you should be three betting him with many hands. However, if other players pick up on your isolation three betting they might start capping you.

As far as reading them....you can't really if they continue their maniac ways postflop. Tend to call (or check and call) your marginal holdings and fast play your good hands.
Old 05-28-2005, 08:05 PM

im no expert, but theres a guy in a home game i play like this. He is really good at playing LAG, but he doesn't know when to turn it off when the game he is in doesn't work well playing lag. I noticed him raising with literally any two against me, because he knows at that game im tight, and dont try anything tricky. I also noticed if i bet preflop, he woud call reguardless to push me out later.

So i didn't reraise him, i just called him down. I let him continually make mistakes by betting into someone with a better hand (even if my better hand was middle pair, sometimes high card) and after a while he stopped playing that way against me, and i started having more fun.

I think the best way to beat a bully is to let him literally hand you their money by constantly betting into you. If you respond to a bully by strength, they may want to act stronger. I'd rather have someone be afraid to bet into me without a good hand.

just my 2 cents
Old 05-28-2005, 08:13 PM

Showdown pairs and ace high most of the time.

These guys used to give me fits...but experiance makes it easier.

Depends a lot on how they play postflop. If they are the retarded keep betting no matter what type just let them do the betting for them and put in raises when you need to protect your hand/value raise with big hands.

Don't get into a bluffing war with these idiots, they will win...as they are completely unrelenting. Let them get into a bluff war when you have the best hand...that's what gets the money.
Old 05-28-2005, 08:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Showdown pairs and ace high most of the time.

These guys used to give me fits...but experiance makes it easier.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree completely. I am seeing these maniacs on the party microlimits more and more. I realized after a while, that if I was heads up with them after the flop, I could just call them down with as little as Ace high and win much of the time. And the great thing is, when I do actually hit the flop, then I can raise or check-raise, and really make some money, because they will stubbornly try to bluff me off my hand on every street. Of course, when the maniac hits his runner,runner, inside-straight draw, then I go ballistic. [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]