Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-25-2003, 10:35 PM

Default Re: 200-400 hand

I would call. I would also be tempted to raise, but you are vulnerable here. The pot is too big to fold.
Old 11-26-2003, 12:09 AM

I would have mucked this hand before the flop unless the game was being played short handed. As far as postflop goes, I'de more than likely raise the flop instead of the turn. On the river you must call.

PokerPrince
Old 11-26-2003, 12:13 AM

I'd call, and kick myself later for not having the stones to re-raise him. You can't fold. Well, I suppose you can, but I really don't think that you're behind 95 percent of the time or whatever it would have to be.

I like the big laydowns, but in this case I think that it warrants a call. Without extra information and a tell on one of the guys, well, I'm calling even with a tell at this point. Pray for an over-played straight, or that he's retarded and has AJ or something. Who was the fish in the game? Him?

~D
Old 11-26-2003, 12:18 AM

I'd just call here, but I don't think you winning this hand is as out of the question as everyone seems to think it is. I think AJ is a definate possibility, although that doesn't mean I think the AJ is properly played.
Old 11-26-2003, 01:15 AM

Default reraise the river and some analysis

first the preflop raiser bets the flop. then he thinks for awhile on the turn. what does he have to think about? he has pocket 66, or AJ or an overpair or some other wack no good hand, that's why he's thinking. he's out of line on the river and snakehead reraised and was called.

let's think a little deeper here: despite the action on the turn there's no reason to think there must be a straight or even a set out there. these 200-400 guys play very very aggressively, and they can be tricky as well. the loose players raise on the turn means nothing or close to nothing. snakehead's 3 bet also doesnt need to mean much more than top pair or even something less plus a willingness to put preflop raiser and loosey to the test.
turn capper is likely a set or straight, but who knows, maybe it's some wack two pair or something.

one last thing: preflop raiser may figure he and snakehead may have the same hand with something like an overpair or AJ or something and he may figure a reraise on the river may slam loose guy out of the pot. it's an extra $400 investment to chop or take down a $12k pot that may belong to loose guy. so i could see a trickier player reraising the river here with a lot more hands then might initially seem likely. the guy does NOT need to have 88 or JJ to make this play.

Old 11-26-2003, 01:30 AM

Reraise.

You're only conceivably losing to JJ and 88.

I'm surprised everyone here is just calling, and I must tell you, anyone who would advocate folding here needs to just send me all of their money and forget this whole poker thing, cause it ain't gonna work out for you.
Old 11-26-2003, 04:23 AM

maybe things are different at 200-400, but i dont care how aggressive the game is this guy's 3-bet on the river can be nothing but a full house or quads. you cant fold because the pot pays your mortgage for a few months. hope he had 66.
Old 11-26-2003, 02:30 PM

Default results

I left out some information that leads to my decisions in this hand. first, calling btf was not a bad play because the game had just started, and I knew the other players would be anxious to get involved with the new guy. he had about $20,000 in bills in front of him, kind of in a messy pile. I was sure there would be more callers, especially after two of us called the raise. the new guy was the sb.

raising on the flop wouldn't have lost the loose player if he had any hand at all, since he had already called the first bet. I might have lost the guy behind me, though. I prefer raising on the turn in this situation because it gets more money into the pot.

when I reraised the loose player on the turn, I though his hand could have been AJ just as easily as a straight, but two pair was very likely also. when the next guy capped it, I thought I might be in trouble.

my mistake in the hand (and mike l.'s analysis) was not giving enough weight to the raiser's call on the turn. had to call three bets cold. this is a guy I play with almost every day, and he's no fish. he had to have very good hand to call here.

that's why my raise on the river wasn't a good idea. the only way I had him beat was if he had a straight. 66 was a remote possibility, because he probably wouldn't raise btf with 66.

anyway, I paid off like a slot machine. he had 88. guess I'll have to wait a while for the new corolla.
Old 11-26-2003, 04:24 PM

Default Re: results

thanks for the analysis. longest snakehead post ever?!

hey would you do us all a favor and post a couple more hands from this session?? we'd all be very grateful since you seem to be the only one around here playing that high up.

here's hoping you won it all back and then some.
Old 11-26-2003, 04:29 PM

Default Re: results

[ QUOTE ]
guess I'll have to wait a while for the new corolla.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, don't buy a Corolla. Total chick car.