Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-25-2004, 03:01 PM

Default Re: Would you ever fold this set?

of course not. dont get results oriented...
Old 11-25-2004, 03:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
And yeah.. Raise more preflop: Atlest to $3.. preferable more.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you should vary the size of your bet in relation to strength of your hand? I thought you should always bet the same preflop so no one gets a read on your hand by the amount you have bet. Is there a reason to overbet the pot here? It would seem to me that I would be glad to have KJ call me here.
Old 11-25-2004, 04:20 PM

him raising to 2 dollars here isnt the mistake in this hand. saying he should have raised to make hands like kj fold is being results oriented. make your stanard raise, whether it is 2 or 3 dollars
Old 11-26-2004, 02:56 AM

So you should vary the size of your bet in relation to strength of your hand?

No. You shouldn't. But you should increase your bet size if there are limper's infront off you. Why? Because the pot is bigger and they are more likely to call after they have initially invested money into the pot.

Ideally you want to play the hand heads up or three way in NL. Bet a amount that will achieve that.
If you bet to low everyone are going to call. If you bet to much everyone will fold or only hands that beat you will call/raise.

My "standard" preflop raise is 4xBigBlind. + 1 extra Big blind for each limper in front off me. If there are 3 limper's and me on the button I would raise in a $1/$2 game: $2x4+$2+$2+$2 =$14.
That have nothing to do with the strength of my hands.. I will raise the same with my stealing hands and the premium hands.

And also I think on lower levels you could raise a lot more preflop and still get callers. When I played there my standard raise was $3 (6xBB) + a few blind s for each limper.. And people still called me..
Let them pay more if they want to!!
Old 11-26-2004, 10:46 AM

I agree with Froggy here on his assessments of raising PF - making super large raises from early position when you have a hand is just a way to turn your QQ into a 72o pre-flop. Eventually people are going to realize that when you make these huge PF raises, you have QQ+. The idea is that you want people to make mistakes against you and then you make them pay.

And I'm definitely going all-in on the flop in the first instance. In the second hand, I think you need to represent a pair of Kings on the flop. You're in a late position, it's checked around to you, and there's a four-straight-flush on the board. You have to protect your hand and, if you think no one has a King, you've got to put in at least 80% of the pot to force mathematical mistakes...Of course, no matter what you put in here, the guy's probably going to call you since you let him hit the flop with a straight flush draw.

No offense but you made multiple mistakes on this second hand, IMO. I'm raising pre-flop with a poster and a big blind just so that I can hopefully drive out hands like 98s, A5, K9, or other hands that might have me beat. I know, I know - several of you like lots of players when you have a small pair and I do too but he's in a good position to possibly steal the blinds with a medium hand. I would've raised to $3 (remember the poster) and forced them to make decisions. If the UTG+1 bets the flop, I'm gone - if he doesn't, I will (representing the Kings). I don't know what the blinds play like but if they;re tight at all, I'm definitely raising here...

Seondly, your raise and then re-re-raise on the turn when the straight card hit is just dangerous. I'm thinking that someone's hit the straight and I'm just playing to make the boat. After all, they're putting in a small enough bet that it is mathematically correct for you to call if others will call behind. I also *want* someone to hit the flush on the river!!! I can bust them for everyting if they flush and I fill up. If I don't fill up and a flush card (or another straight card) comes off on the river, I can fold my trips easily. By raising on the turn, you drive out the hands that would've paid you off if you fill up and they flush/straighten... If the board pairs, I doubt anyone believes you have the boat and you'll get everyone's chips!
Old 11-26-2004, 12:45 PM

You can't fold it, even if he has the straight you've got a decent chance of beating him.