Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2005, 07:33 AM

Default Re: The Beauty of Mike Matusow\'s Game

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

The hand that actually made the big difference and stopped the equilibrium was Matusow calling with AQs versus another Corkins all in overbets. Hoyt had AKo. Matusow spikes a king on the turn and gets 850k of the 1.140 million chips in play. Based on Hoyt's earlier play, Matusow really couldn't lay that hand down and it turned out to be very fortuitous that he didn't.

[/ QUOTE ]

If a king came onn the turn, Hoyt would have won. Some of you guys are so confusing when you narrate hands. Don't you review your posts before submitting them?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not really. I used to, but I stopped. I don't really need to any way. The non-[censored] types can read the post and figure out the incongruencies. And the [censored] types can mention the error and help get it corrected.
Old 11-10-2005, 08:35 AM

Which tournament or show was this?
Old 11-10-2005, 04:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is Corkins just a rich donk that play's a lot of tournaments? He does own a cattle rich. Those guy's make really good money.

[/ QUOTE ]

My understanding is that Corkins is a very good player who recently reappeared on the tournament scene a couple of years ago.

He faced Hellmuth at a WPT main table awhile back and just ate him alive. Phil had no idea what to do with him. I think he was complaining about Corkins getting "lucky" that time, too.
Old 11-10-2005, 04:34 PM

When did this air? Or has it not been on yet?
Old 11-10-2005, 06:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This tournament was the 2005 World Series of Poker Tournament of Champions. It occurred 2 days ago at Caesar's Palace in Vegas and will air on December 24th this year.

The other tournament mentioned was a World Poker Tour Event. Hoyt did get mad lucky at that event, but IMO Hoyt outplayed Phil in this event. It was a competition between a somewhat tight aggressive player and a loose aggressive player.

There was a battle of poker philosophies at the event that I found interesting. Phil was arguing against Mike's loose style of play while Mike criticized Phil's somewhat weak-tight style of play. It was an ongoing discussion throughout the course of the tournament. Interestingly, neither side could see that both styles have their advantages and disadvantages, at least not verbally acknowledged.
Old 11-10-2005, 06:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This tournament was the 2005 World Series of Poker Tournament of Champions. It occurred 2 days ago at Caesar's Palace in Vegas and will air on December 24th this year.

The other tournament mentioned was a World Poker Tour Event. Hoyt did get mad lucky at that event, but IMO Hoyt outplayed Phil in this event. It was a competition between a somewhat tight aggressive player and a loose aggressive player.

There was a battle of poker philosophies at the event that I found interesting. Phil was arguing against Mike's loose style of play while Mike criticized Phil's somewhat weak-tight style of play. It was an ongoing discussion throughout the course of the tournament. Interestingly, neither side could see that both styles have their advantages and disadvantages, at least not verbally acknowledged.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, but that's why the top players know how to switch gears.

For Phil to play weak-tight as the huge chip leader at the final table, then refuse to open up even when it was down to the final three, was just stupid.

Apparently he's a control freak who just can't understand just how much luck there is in poker. Sometimes you just gotta shove your chips in preflop and hope for the best.

I know, I know, "How many bracelets do *I* have?"

But now that Corkins has revealed this huge leak in Phil's game, I think Phil's in trouble if he doesn't change his approach.
Old 11-10-2005, 06:59 PM

Thank you. I saw the wpt one before. Didn't know about the wsop toc. How did u guys see it if it didn't air yet?
Old 11-10-2005, 07:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thank you. I saw the wpt one before. Didn't know about the wsop toc. How did u guys see it if it didn't air yet?

[/ QUOTE ]

Live updates at www.cardplayer.com. It's still up there, if you have some time to kill.
Old 11-11-2005, 09:03 AM

Phil is not supertight at all. He tries to take down alot of small pots with small raises and bets. Hes definitely a lose player in that respect.
Negreanu has said his main weakness is that he is afraid to play big pots when he will be only a marginal favorite like in the AQ hand and some people can exploit that. Granted if he gets a big rush of cards he'll probably have even more chips because people will try to make big bets to get him off pots.
Old 11-11-2005, 10:31 AM

Yeah, I agree. Good points.

I was thinking about it and noticed that Phil managed to stay even with the other 2 players with 3 left with what seemed to be significantly less risk. He gets props for that. Some other stuff, he made some mistakes. He had a read on Matusow and didn't take advantage which was a big mistake. Too risk averse.

He shifts gears too, but he doesn't properly adjust for other players being LAG.